E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

AC troobleshooting help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'85 300TD Wagon 152K,'01 E320 Wagon 44K
AC troobleshooting help

Okay I have a question about my AC vent system in my 85 300TD Wagon. It has the California Emission set up. (I don't think this fact pertains to the vent system but you never know) I have double checked all the vacuum lines under the hood associated with the climate system -- everything checks all connected no leaks or cracks.
Here's the issue: My 2 outside vents, blow air like it's their job, however
the center two vents don't blow air, very weak at best. This occurs whether I turn the AC or the heat on, or even the vent "EC".
Is there a pressure diaphram somewhere or a vacuum line I'm overlooking that could be limiting/restricting airflow to these vents?
Any experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated!
The Rookie Kevin
Old 06-15-2007, 09:48 AM

2003 C240 6 Speed
I am not familiar with the setup on these cars. but i'd like to help!

the vents etc back in the dash, are they actuated by vaccum, manual lever/rod of some sort or electric?

with such a problem I wouldnt be looking in the engine bay, it'll be back in behind your dash at the air routing box. chances are (if its setup like every other car) one of the flaps isnt opening up all the way.

and I don't think youre stupid, but be sure the vents are open in the first place! (the little turn dial, beside the vent) haha
Old 08-11-2007, 09:10 PM

1980 MBZ 300SD, 03 Audi A8, 97 Volvo 960
Originally Posted by Kevin300TD
Okay I have a question about my AC vent system in my 85 300TD Wagon. It has the California Emission set up. (I don't think this fact pertains to the vent system but you never know) I have double checked all the vacuum lines under the hood associated with the climate system -- everything checks all connected no leaks or cracks.
Here's the issue: My 2 outside vents, blow air like it's their job, however
the center two vents don't blow air, very weak at best. This occurs whether I turn the AC or the heat on, or even the vent "EC".
Is there a pressure diaphram somewhere or a vacuum line I'm overlooking that could be limiting/restricting airflow to these vents?
Any experience on this topic would be greatly appreciated!
The Rookie Kevin
I just bought a fabulous 83 300CD. It is probably the best car I have ever driven, but I have the same problem. The end vents blow correctly and hard, the selector arrows make the appropriate changes in air path, but the center vents do not blow. I cannot believe this is such a limited thing that there is no quick answer to it. Anybody know where to look.
Thanks
Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
I think the problem could be a vacum check valve or the climate control