E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Why is my trunk suddenly leaking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1981 240D
Why is my trunk suddenly leaking?

Ever since the rains started this year, my trunk has become a little swamp. And now it's starting to grow mold! I can't use it for anything really, and I've already had some clothes get damaged from it. My search turned up little to nothing, so I thought I'd ask where the common places are that they leak?

I've inspected all the seals and nothing seems in poor condition, so I am starting to really wonder. Is there supposed to be some sort of seals around the stems of the trunk badges where they pass through to the inside? Every time I open my trunk it practically rains down from that area. This is my only clue to the source of my problem. Please help before I get frustrated and turn it into an El-Camino.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:08 PM

'79 240D
Re: trunk leak

I just finished searching for same on my <new-to-me> '79 240D winter beater.
Turns out that both corners of the rear window gasket leak at the bottom onto the parcel shelf, into the speaker depressions, through the hole in the bottom of the depression, onto the fuel tank, down the sides of the tank, and across the lateral depression in the trunk floor into the spare tire well.

In order to find this leak, I had to remove the rear seat, rear parcel shelf padding, and trunk bulkhead. The trunk lining pieces are long gone.

Since both sides are leaking, I'd guess this as a "usual suspect".

HTH.

--frankb

Originally Posted by Wyle E. Coyote
Ever since the rains started this year, my trunk has become a little swamp... so I thought I'd ask where the common places are that they leak?
Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Also

on some models with sun roofs the drain gets plugged and the water has a habit of going into the trunk.Don't know if your model has that problem but along with the above items to check ,might be worth a look.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:17 AM

1994 E320 Estate Alpine Green/Cream Beige(dads) 1978 240D Sedan Pastel Blue/Blue MBTex (Mine)
My 240D did the same thing for a long time, the trunk seal appeard to be good, but I still got water in. Replaced the trunk seal and haven't gotten a drop since.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Wyle E. Coyote
Ever since the rains started this year, my trunk has become a little swamp. And now it's starting to grow mold! I can't use it for anything really, and I've already had some clothes get damaged from it. My search turned up little to nothing, so I thought I'd ask where the common places are that they leak?

I've inspected all the seals and nothing seems in poor condition, so I am starting to really wonder. Is there supposed to be some sort of seals around the stems of the trunk badges where they pass through to the inside? Every time I open my trunk it practically rains down from that area. This is my only clue to the source of my problem. Please help before I get frustrated and turn it into an El-Camino.

Thanks everyone!
replaced the trunk seal, some times the seal looks good but is not sealing properly and try to clean the sunroof draing tube with a blower gun.
good luck
Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
and post what it took to fix the leak