E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 280SE Euro
To buy or not to buy?

I came across an '85 300td wagon. Went to look at it where it was owned by and stored at a mechanics shop.

The owner/mechanic told me it smokes because of a leaky injector but he thought it had a bad engine and is including another engine with the sale.

The car was blocked in and had flat tires and was in a dimly lit area.

He started the car with a screwdriver and only let it run for a minute or two.

The body seemed ok from what I could see except for a very dull hood, rust through on the bottom of the tailgate and missing MB stars.

The interior looked to be ok with MB Tex looking like it could outlast the apocolypse as it most always does.

Thoughts? This is my first experience with a MB diesel and even one of my first experiences with buying an older car that may need work.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1980 280SE Euro
SO, I've answered my own question. I placed a call into a well known mercedes diesel parts/repair website and learned about trap oxidizers. I was told if it's an '85 it may or may not have one and if it does...walk away. I figure even if it did come with a second engine, I don't have the desire to pay for a swap or the knowledge to do one myself and the body wasn't so great to make it worth while.

Anyway, thanks for letting me talk it out.