E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Tell me what you know...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'78 300D, more to come soon!
Tell me what you know...

Anything and everything about a 78 300D. I'm not car stupid, have been a car guy all my life, I'm just looking for any wisdom, stories, advice, warnings, etc... Anything you guys can tell me about these cars. Been driving it for a couple years now, was my mother's before that. Car has 119K, engine has 50-60K on it. Was replaced around 60K with brand new engine from the factory. Haven't had any real problems with it, she runs great. Feel free to ask me questions about the car, and thanks for advance for everything!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 300D,82 Volvo Diesel
You can get the Factory Service Manual CD set that covers aobut 98.5% of everthing on the whole car. A bunch of info at an exceptional price.
Factory Service Manual CD Set $19.99+$7 shipping
http://www.classictechlit.mbusa.com/MB/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=Retail&category%5Fname= 1009%28ClassicTechLit%29&product%5Fid=QL%2D6516%2D 5610%2D02%28ClassicTechLit%29

Since the Engine has so few miles on it I would not expect problems there.
I would be looking for paroblems with the Rubber Parts on the Car if they have not been changed.
The Flex Discs on the Drive Shaft
The Rear CV Axle Boots
The Front Suspension Pivots on the Elasticity of Rubber Bushings. When they go bad you can start to have Tire Wear or Steering Control problems. No need to mess with them until a problem comes up.
The main thing is as happen to a member on another forum; He had his car re-aligned. Within a few weeks his Lower Control Arm Bushing on one side became no good.
With a car this old if the rubber suspension parts on the front have never been replaced I would do so before having it aligned.
Anoter Note if you have to compress the Front Spring. They are at least 3 times stronger than a Gas Cars front springs. The normal Spring Compressors you buy at the regular Auto Parts are not safe.
I know because in the process towards changing the Lower Control Arm Bushings I twisted up the Threaded Rod on my Spring Compressors. I replaced it with larger Diameter Threaded Rod and ended up bending those also.
I finally made myself a Spring Compressor with 1 inch Diameter Threaded Rod.
Or you can rent the proper Spring Compressor from this Forum (I go by Diesel911 on that forum):
DIY Repair Links
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/forumdisplay.php?f=82
http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/DoItYourSelf

Another rubber problem is the Motor Mounts and Transmission Mount.
If the Motor Mount on the Oil Cooler side collaspes sometimes the Power Steering Belt cut through the Oil Cooler Hose. If it happens when you are driving you can loose your Engine.
Take a close look at your Oil Cooler Hoses. If they need to be changed see the DIY Links.
Also take a look at the links that concern maint.; like Valve adjustment.
If your heating system has an Electric Auxillery Pump (mine is mounted low on the Fenderwell not far from the Alternator) it has no fuse on it. When that pump seezes up and shorts it also short something in the Climate Control Box (I do not know if you Climate Control is the same I have an 84) and the short in the Box has caused fires in the interior of some cars. The members of one forum installed 3 amp Fuses on their pumps.
Well thats all that comes to mind righ off.
If you read the DIY Repair links you will get an idea as to what many folks are dealing with and how the fix it.