E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

couple of problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 240D
couple of problems

alright so ive been driving my 83 240d for about a year now and it hasnt given me too many problems. but recently ive had a couple of weird problems.
The first one is that the front brakes sometimes lock up and will release after hitting the brakes a couple of times this is followed by the brake pedal going soft. This started happening after i replaced my master cylinder. ive already tried bleeding the brakes twice since then and it still happens. it usually happens after making panic stops.
The second is that there is a buzzing sound coming from what sounds like the instrument cluster. it usually starts around 40 and is accompanied by a jumping needle. usually stops when i drop below 20 first time it happened the temp needle also was bouncing around but that has stopped.

i would like to try to fix these sometime this week because i have some time off of work. the first problem is of more concern because when it happens i cant get above 40 and theres lots of smoke and bad smells not to mention the problems it will cause. the second is just really annoying
Old 09-27-2010, 11:34 AM

83, 300D Federal
My best guess is your Brake Calipers Pistons are sticking. This can be caused by the crud that build up between the Caliper Piston and the Caliper, Brake Pads and/or Rotors being too thin and when the Rubber Caliper Seal (the big square O-ring/s) become old and stiff they no longer help the Caliper Piston return.
(Do some internet searches and find out how the Caliper Seal works. The elasticity and the distortion of the Caliper Seal act as kind of a spring to help pull the Cailper Piston away from the Rotor. Even when the Caliper Seal is in new condition there is not a lot of force available to pull the Caliper piston Back. Hence it does not take much crud inside of the Caliper to keep the Piston from returning.)

I have never had this happen to me but many members of the Various forums I haunt have said the inside of the Rubber Brake Hoses can deteriorate and act as sort of a 1 way valve and keep the Pistons from returning.
When I buy a Used Car they have always needed a Brake Job (despite what the Seller has told me). Since people do not normally replace the Brake Hoses I assume they are the originals and replace the Hoses during the brake job.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:27 PM

83, 300D Federal
It could be your Speedometer Gears are worn out.
I do not know if this forum as a fix for that but others do; and there may be some places that will fix them for you.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1982 300D VNT, 1980 240D 3.0T, 1982 300TD
Originally Posted by Outre
Free online mercedes manual
Thats not free, its theft. Spend the $20 to buy the CD legally so you won't look cheap like Outre.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:22 PM

83, 300D Federal
Originally Posted by 240D 3.0T
Thats not free, its theft. Spend the $20 to buy the CD legally so you won't look cheap like Outre.
My user name-Ou`tre´
a.1.Out of the common course or limits{2}; bizarre; outlandish
passing the bounds of what is usual or considered proper; unconventional; bizarre.

It is $27 from the Mercedes Classic Center if you include the shipping.

I have an official CD Set and the Printed Manuals- the Engine Manual, the 2 Volume Chassis Manual set, and the Climate Control.

If UPS is good to me tomorrow I have some more Mercedes Manuals coming. This bunch has the Tech Book with the specs.

Yesterday on eBay I won another lot of Mercedes Manuals.

The first CD and books I bought were not cheap but the eBay purchase were cheap.
So I am not against spending money on Manuals.

But, over all I clealy am Cheap.
I am sitting here wearing the a pair of Sox from bag full I got at a discount store, Shoes and Short Pants I bougth used at a Thrift Store and I paid 99 cents each for a bunch of factory 2nds T shirts one of which I am wearing now.

Last edited by Outre; 10-03-2010 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Banned

My user name-Ou`tre´
a.1.Out of the common course or limits{2}; bizarre; outlandish
passing the bounds of what is usual or considered proper; unconventional; bizarre.
Theft is not "unconventional" or "bizarre", its a mental defect.

How about I come over and steal your car? I can use it to give free rides to people that don't want to buy a car.

I have an official CD Set and the Printed Manuals- the Engine Manual, the 2 Volume Chassis Manual set, and the Climate Control.
Buying the CDs does not include the rights to distribute the content publicly.

It is $27 from the Mercedes Classic Center if you include the shipping.
Whoopdeedoo. That changes absolutely nothing. Theft is theft no matter how you attempt to skew reality.

Last edited by 240D 3.0T; 10-06-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:11 AM

83, 300D Federal
Theft is not "unconventional" or "bizarre", its a mental defect.

How about I come over and steal your car? I can use it to give free rides to people that don't want to buy a car.

Buying the CDs does not include the rights to distribute the content publicly.

Whoopdeedoo. That changes absolutely nothing. Theft is theft no matter how you attempt to skew reality.
Actually this is the part that would match up with the alleged theft: passing the bounds of what is usual or considered proper.

I directed someone to where they could find something that is not theft; and it is not violating any copyright either. Why, because I did not give them the actual information itself.
(As an example: If I say George you need money why don't your rob a Bank. If Gorege robs a Bank that does not make me a Bank robber. It means I gave George very bad advice.)
Facts:
I posted an internet site anyone can access; and accessing the site is free because who ever runs the site does not ask for a fee to view the site.

The site is online, it is free (meaning access to the site is free), and it does have a Manual.

Lastly the person I sent it to has a choice if he wants to view the site or not. He or she was not obligated to view the site.

So since a theft never occured there was no theft.

Concerning mental issues I have never been professionally evaluated; so no one really knows my mental state. Certainly no one who is not a professional in that area could have an opinion of any value.

My own non-professional opinion is that only the truly Insane believe they have absolutely no mental problems.

Last edited by Outre; 10-07-2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

Actually this is the part that would match up with the alleged theft: passing the bounds of what is usual or considered proper.
There is no semblance of "alleged" anywhere here. Theft is theft. You posted the service manuals for everyone else to download freely, thereby stealing income from MB.

I directed someone to where they could find something that is not theft
No change. Referring somebody to a place where they can get a stolen item is just as much guilt as stealing the item itself.

and it is not violating any copyright either. Why, because I did not give them the actual information itself.
That is false information. See above.

I posted an internet site anyone can access; and accessing the site is free because who ever runs the site does not ask for a fee to view the site.
You could post a link to a kiddy **** site, that wouldn't be any more or less illegal.

The site is online, it is free (meaning access to the site is free), and it does have a Manual.
That is false information. They are distributing data they have no rights to distribute. That means its not free.

Lastly the person I sent it to has a choice if he wants to view the site or not. He or she was not obligated to view the site.
That is false information. You posted it on the forum. That makes the forum responsible for your actions because allowing it to be posted legally shows they condone theft. That means Mercedes could sue the forum and bring it down. Its the exact same reason CarFax reports from paid accounts can't be requested or posted.

So since a theft never occured there was no theft.
That is false information.
A person transporting or receiving stolen property can be charged with a crime just as easily as the person who actually stole.

Concerning mental issues I have never been professionally evaluated
I highly suggest you do so, asap.

Last edited by 240D 3.0T; 10-09-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:55 PM

83, 300D Federal
There is no semblance of "alleged" anywhere here. Theft is theft. You posted the service manuals for everyone else to download freely, thereby stealing income from MB.

No change. Referring somebody to a place where they can get a stolen item is just as much guilt as stealing the item itself.

That is false information. See above.

You could post a link to a kiddy **** site, that wouldn't be any more or less illegal.

That is false information. They are distributing data they have no rights to distribute. That means its not free.

That is false information. You posted it on the forum. That makes the forum responsible for your actions because allowing it to be posted legally shows they condone theft. That means Mercedes could sue the forum and bring it down. Its the exact same reason CarFax reports from paid accounts can't be requested or posted.

That is false information.
A person transporting or receiving stolen property can be charged with a crime just as easily as the person who actually stole.

I highly suggest you do so, asap.
Of course I disagree with the above opinions and definitions.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Banned

Seriously, you've got some mental defects if you're honestly defending the theft of information that costs only $20 to buy legally. I bet you don't have any problem downloading movies or music too.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 PM

83, 300D Federal
You have expressed your opinions and clearly you believe yourself.

Last edited by Outre; 10-11-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:11 AM
Banned

Humm, an edit. Clearly you've got something to hide.