E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

Dreaded vacuum problem on W123

Old 04-12-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 300D
Arrow Dreaded vacuum problem on W123

Hello all,
I'm new to here, but not to the W123. I own a 1983 300D which for five years has been great. Then it got where the doors wouldn't lock and then sometimes it wouldn't shut off. Now it doesn't shut off at all (without the manual shutoff). I have a repair manual, but it says NOTHING about the vacuum system. Where can I get the CD set for this car and does IT show the vacuum system?

Thanks for this info and any other helpful hints you want to pass along.

By the way, I followed several links that have been left on this site, but most no longer work.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 AM

83, 300D Federal
The Mercedes Classic Center in Irvine California used to sell the 2 CD 123 Set; and, they used to have a website you could order it drectly from.
I believe this is the part number for the W123 Manual.
QL-6516-5610-02 CD-Rom 123 Service Manual ...

A company called Mercedesmanuals also used to sell the CD set but it was at almost double the price of buying it direct from Mercedes.

Now their website has been reduced to mostly a Homepage with a Telephone number. I would go to the site and give them a call and see if the still sell the CD set. It used to be $19.99+$7 shipping.
But here is some general testing stuff.
Get a section of regular Vacuum Hose and disconnect the one going to the Vacuum Shutoff on the Fuel Injection pump. Connect the Hose to one end and with the Engine Running simply suck on the opposite end of the hose (or use a hand held Vacuum Tester that you pump by hand like a Mighty Vac). If it shuts off when you suck the Vacuum Shutoff is in goood enough order to shut off the Engine.
If there was a lot of Engine Oil when you pulled the origional Vacuum Hose off of the Shutoff the Diaphragm in the Shutoff has some holes or is not sealing well allowing Engine Oil from the Fuel Injection Pump to get into the Vacuum Line.

With the Vacuum Hose still disconnected from the Vacuum Shutoff plug the hose off and run the Engine and see if your Door Locks work normal. If they do not you have a leak in your Climatic Control System, the Door Lock System or there is another Vacuum Shutoff Valve mounted on the Steering Wheel Lock. This is the one that sends or cuts off the Vacuum when you turn the key.

You pretty much check the Vacuum System by plugging and bypassing parts of the system one at a time. When something has been Plugged and bypased and everything else works again you have found the problem area.

Last edited by Outre; 04-13-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 AM

83, 300D Federal
Update: Try this site it has a list of what is available and a phone number to call. Startek is also part of Mercedes.
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9124