E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

1982 300D Turbo Fuel Problem??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300D Turbo
1982 300D Turbo Fuel Problem??

OK, got the car the old guy had the ?ALDA? loose and the Shut Off Sylenoide out.. I put it back together to form my own/ acquire opinions on what's wrong, and where to start.
After I got it back together the car will crank with gas soaked rag to help it start. Once it starts running it revs way up and blows a lot of white smoke and I have to choke the air intake to shut it down. POSSIBLE PROBLEM: maybe I put the Shut Off Sylenoide back in wrong, I put it in the slot of the arm in the IP (Injection Pump) is that correctly installed? OR: the shut off sylenoide isn't operating properly, if it's installed correctly but just doesn't work properly would this want to make it run away?Please help me out if you know anything. I found a job THANK GOD and it's 70 miles round trip and I can't afford the job without this good mileage car.. I sure would like to get this car running soon..
Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM

300D Turbo
NOT THE SHUT OFF VALVE

Finally found an answer to how the shut off valve DOES FIT INTO THE slot of the arm under the ALDA.

If it's not the shut off valve being in the wrong position then I have to assume it's the rack sticking. The problem is now that I have no idea where to look for that possible sticking "RACK".. any advise would be appreciated.... STICKY RACK
Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 AM

85 300D(the trusted), 97 E420(the ticketed)
Do you know if the old guy you got this car from took the IP apart and messed with it? Just the Alda was removed? The rack limit is internal adjustment, the pump has to be removed from the car and opened to make this adjustment. Have you tried to adjust the screw on top of the Alda? I'm pretty sure turning clockwise should decrease the amount of fuel it gives at low rpm. But like I said I'm pretty sure not positive, just count how many turns you do so in case it makes it worse you know how much to turn back
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM

300D Turbo
Thanks for replying...

Originally Posted by StevieBenz
Do you know if the old guy you got this car from took the IP apart and messed with it? Just the Alda was removed? The rack limit is internal adjustment, the pump has to be removed from the car and opened to make this adjustment. Have you tried to adjust the screw on top of the Alda? I'm pretty sure turning clockwise should decrease the amount of fuel it gives at low rpm. But like I said I'm pretty sure not positive, just count how many turns you do so in case it makes it worse you know how much to turn back
He didn't admit to having the IP off the block, it doesn't look like it either...
I wished I had a recording device with me when I went to get the car because what I know now about the car would have helped me then when I was trying to take in all that he said..
I remember him saying the engine ran GOOD and the tranny was just as GOOD. 233,*** miles but I've seen them get 500K+! I believed him because what engine can't you get 1,000,000 out of if you treat it right??
Anyway he said it started shutting off on him when he would come to a stop. So he adjusted the ALDA to make up for that, and adjusted the linkages to get a high idle so it wouldn't shut off.. He said that the valve in the IP is sticking. What valve I don't know, maybe he was just making it sound sweet so I'd buy it...
The only reason I bought the car is because I knew where to get a working IP for $100 +s/h, so I figured I'd just replace the IP if anything... BUT, I was hoping it was as simple as just cleaning a valve or even replacing a valve. But, I can't remember exactly what valve he was talking about. When he was attempting to illustrate what valve the ALDA was setting at a 90 and he was pointing into the IP but I didn't know what valve he was talking about. What valve would be malfunctioning in the IP would make the IP not perform correctly (high rev, die at idle)?
I got the "working" IP from anOTHER old guy off of Ebay. It won't be here until around the end of next week (WTF!?) So, I won't have any progress until then, or maybe in a few days after I get the IP out and possibly find an answer.. to something.......

When I could get it to run it did PING so I do know it was running rich... But the other thing NOW is I can't even get it to run at all recently. It doesn't even sound like it wants to...??!!??

One more thing, when he adjusted the ALDA he tightened it down in an odd position. Usually when you look at the ALDAs on these old cars the side with the banjo bolt is usually pointing toward the front drivers side tire. It is now facing toward the passenger seat and is actually blocking access to the one of the two threaded holes for the Transmission vacuum doohicky.... Would this affect proper function of the ALDA in any way?

Sorry, just trying to get as much information across as possible for help..

The other thing, he was running 50/50 diesel and WVO/ oils... for how long I don't know. It does have the electric pump, fuel heater, and heated fuel filter..... Could the IP just be clogged with smudge???
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 PM

300D Turbo

Trying to figure out what the vacuum hoses on top of the valve cover does, as you can see mine doesn't even have it on it. What does it do? Will my car run right without it?

the second image is of the ALDA being in the weird position where I can't even get the 2nd bolt into the Trans Vacuum Doohicky deal..