E-Class (W123) 1976-1986: 240D, 280E, 300D, 300TD, 300CD

W123 300d Brake overhaul, advcice please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W123 300d
W123 300d Brake overhaul, advcice please!

Ok, Ill try to keep it short !
Just taken over a 300D from 1980.
Its in good condition bodywork wise, but I think its been neglected mechanically.
I have changed the oil, oil filter, air filter and the fuel filters. Runs a lot better already.
Am thinking of doing a Moli diesel purge. Any thoughts?
Moving on, Ive had the wheels off, all the bolts are a real mish mash of types, so have ordered some new ones.
The discs (rotors) are good all round, but the pads and the shoes are worn. So are the four flexible brake hoses.
The brake fluid in the reservoir is a very interesting colour!! Lord knows when it was changed, so thats on the list too.
So, ive ordered the pads, shoes, hoses and dot 4 fluid.
Any advice on what order to do it all ?
Any advice on what to watch ourt for and what not to do? All much appreciated.

I am a little confused by the brake fluid reservoir. Ill try and attach a picture.
I had read that this had two reservoirs inside. One for the front brakes, the other for the rear.
However on mine, there is a black hose from the back of the reervoir, which I think is a gravity feed for the clutch. If so, as long as I keep that topped up when I bleed the brakes, should i then not have an issue with

the clutch? Many thanks
Old 08-10-2023, 06:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 697 Likes on 518 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
clutch does use brake reservoir because where its master cylinder is no place to check flid levels or top off... floow thehose.

You can bleed clutch if you need to.
Does it hang or drag when disengaging?

Would not hurt but normally done when they replace the throut bearing and replace the little release cylinder powered by this fluid..as they have to crack a line and air enters.. so time to bleed.

but air in clutch system would not effect brakes unless you let brake fluid level drop too much.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W202 C200 1998, W123 200 1982, W123 230E 1982
The clutch would be fine. Even if you empty the reservoir, the clutch line will not empty, and upon refilling the bubble (If any) in the clutch line will just rise and be replaced by brake fluid. If the brake fluid is dirty though, you probably need to bleed that as well. Not too difficult, and because of the location of the slave cylinder (Right below the reservoir) even small air bubbles will escape over a 12 hour period.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W123 300d
Hi
Thanks for the reply and really good to know.
Appreciate it.

Any advice in what order I should proceed?
Pads
Flexible hoses
Hand brake shoes
Dot 4 fluid change
Thanks
Rob