E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Newly aquired 86 300E. Question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E220 cdi
Newly aquired 86 300E. Question...

Hi everyone,

I just bought an 86 300E and is very happy with it so far. It is in dear need of some love and care though, and I just started stripping it down a little bit to clean up the interior and fix some electrical gremlins.

Is there any other good workshop manuals that you guys can recommend except for the Haynes W124 series manual? This is the only one I found, except some references to MBUSA tehnical CDs.

How much oil does the engine take? And how much does the transmission want? Do you use the normal warm-up, shift-through gears and then check the transmission oil while running on these cars, or another procedure to check the trans.oil level?

Does anyone have a complete wiring diagram for these cars?

Is there any easy way to diagnose the A/C system? Mine only blows hot/ambient air, and the A/C does not even seem to try to engage. Also when I push 0 on the heater control the fan does not stop, and nothing happend when the other adjustments for air is pressed. Only the fan speed buttons work.

The previous owner really messed a lot with the el.system. The car has an factory alarm, which has been unplugged (unit under right front carpet). The unit will start clicking and the horn will go off if the plug is reinstalled and a door is opened. The centrallocking does not work either. Are these related somehow, and is there a better way to disable the alarm. How is it intended to work? Does the alarm arm when the doors lock, and unarm automatically if you unlock it with the key?

Is there any place I can obtain the user manual for the car? MBUSA?

Where is the A/C el. fan (in front of radiator) fuse located?

Any good online stores for parts?

A lot of questions, but I hope someone can pitch in and give some advice on whatever they know. It will be most appriciated. I hope to put this baby back in full working order soon and I cant wait to work on it.

Thanks!
Old 06-22-2002, 09:36 PM

A/C

All I can say is my 89 300e has a bad a/c. I think the compressor is bad and will have to replace it. $1000 +/- a few !!! After a while I think those things just quit. Sorry I can't help ya more!
Old 06-27-2002, 07:07 AM

1992 300E
DIY

On my 1992 300E my mechanic couldn't get the compressor to kick on so he had to jump start it manually. The inside control panel wasn't working. Hot air blew all the time. When it finally came on he added 3 cans of freon and still no cold air. Changed the ACC Mono Valve to stop the hot coolant from mixing with the cold air. Bam! I have cold air. Also, because that part goes bad sometimes it fries your control panel as in your case. So see if you can fill it up and pray the freon doesn't leak. If so you can fix it inexpensively, if not parts like evaporator core would almost be forgettable because you have to tear the dash apart.

I changed my auto trans. oil last week. Manual says 6 and 1/2 quarts if you drain pan and torque converter. I only did the pan and added like 3 quarts because i was told the torque drain plug is harder to get to. Installed new trans. filter and gasket, but made a mistake by tightening the 6 bolts too tight. I was told to use a torque wrench because if you overtighten you can warp the pan and cause a leak in which mine has a slow leak and did not before. Gotta order a new pan now and going to Autozone to borrow their torque wrench. Hope that helps you.

Last edited by rexdog29; 06-27-2002 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:46 PM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
diagnose a/c system

There is only one accurate way to find a leak in your system. Call any competent service station who fixes a/c and ask if they have a fluorescein dye kit to check for leaks. When injected into the cicuit the dye shows up under ultraviolet light and shows exactly what is leaking and where. If it is your compressor, call Rusty at 800-741-5252 and ask about his rebuilt compressors. This would be a good time to convert to R134a, but you would need to tell him this and also order a new receiver/drier for 134A. P.