E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

CD Player in 300E - Is it compatible?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CD Player in 300E - Is it compatible?

The more I post to this forum, the more stuff I find out that is wrong with my car!! !

Anyway, my dumb becker tape player just went nuts. It makes some dumb clicking noise when I try to turn on the radio and it won't let me push the tape in.

I always wanted to upgrade to a CD player anyway. Is there a certain MB cd player I have to buy in order to work with the alarm and power antenna? If so, where can I find it?
I appreciate any help.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:56 PM

Mercedes E220 cdi
Any player should work as far as I know. I have an aftermarket Sony and that works just fine. Check out the Interior section on my W124 site and it tells you how to remove the Becker...

http://ow.no/mb/w124/tech/
Old 06-25-2002, 08:15 PM

Unhappy Power Antenna

Thanks a lot for your reply! I got all those pages, and they will be a big help. Now I will wire my CD player myself !!!

Anyway, just one more question...
I might have missed this, since I only glanced over the stuff real quick, but will the power antenna automatically lower and raise itself with say a new sony CD/MP3 player? Can it figure that all out? And will the alarm system still operate without the oe becker?

Thanks again, you were a great help!
Old 06-26-2002, 12:11 PM

Mercedes E220 cdi
The antenna works fine. I have my antenna switch depressed in the "up" mode and everytime I turn on the radio the antenna goes bzzzz-up...and bzzz-down when I turn off the radio or car

For the alarm. You might have to wire something to ground or +B (battery voltage). Thats usually how most alarms work. I am not sure about the W124 one though. Might work without wiring anything. But I would guess it tries to see if you remove it and cut that wire (ie it looses ground or +B) and then sets of the alarm. Somebody with some wiring diagrams should be able to help here. If I figure it out I´ll let you know.
Old 06-26-2002, 12:42 PM

Alarm & Speakers

I found out that with my 89 300e, no wiring is required in order for the alarm to continue to operate properly.

I just purchased the following:
Sony CDX-MP70 MP3 & CD player with remote
Infinity Kappa 42.3i 4" 2-way Speakers (2 for front)

I am still looking at what to purchase for the rear. Do the rear speakers have to use 4'' speakers as well? I thought they were a little larger?

If they are the same, I might just purchase another pair of Kappa 42.3i's, but I would like to get something with a little more bass for the rear, since I probably won't have a sub. If anyone knows of anything with good bass for the rear, let me know, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2002, 09:59 PM

Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
Replacing the infamous Becker Grand Prix

Remove your cassette/radio (easy to do-remove the ashtray, press down on the two tabs under the head unit and pull it forward.) Don't worry about the alarm, pull the wire out of the back and pull off the wires. Throw the radio in the garbage and replace it with any today technology CD head unit that controlls a CD changer. Any aftermarket CD head unit will fit perfectly. Remove the paper-faced, awefull factory speakers and replace them with same size, coaxial speakers (4 ohms). Any car stereo store can do this for you if you don't think you can do it. P.