E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Hesitation & hard start...try changing the temp sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI
Hesitation & hard start...try changing the temp sensor

I went away for 2 weeks, so my car sat around. When I returned, I went to the bank (everything was fine), then to 7-11. When I left 7-11, my car began to have this hesitation problem on acceleration and ran very rough at idle. In fact, it "died" at a stop sign and I had a difficult time restarting it. When I got home, it "died" again at idle and continued to be difficult to restart.

I was thinking it was the fuel pump and/or filter because it felt as if it was lacking gas. So I replaced both (pump was noisy anyway...sign of failure, and the filter has not been changed for 3 years). Unfortunately this did not solve the problem. I was going to change the fuel pump relay next, but at $130 I figured, that money would be best spent on a diagnostic test w/my mechanic. I did not want to start changing parts at random.

Luckily I did...the mechanic tested the fuel pump relay, checked the fuel line pressure, and checked the coil...all checked out O.K. He then told me to leave the car so that he could test the car on his diagnostic machine. The problem ended up being a temperature sensor. But to be on the safe side, my mechanic also cleaned out the fuel injectors and cleaned around the coil and the fuel distributor. Total cost $118 ($60 for the sensor, rest for labor and diagnostic).

It was what I expected to pay. The car ran good before I left it alone for 2 weeks, so I knew it had to be something minor. I just did not want to be "fishing around" only to end up spending money on unnecessary parts. Thank God I found an honest mechanic. He could have easily charged me for a fuel pump relay, coil, ICV, OVP, and other unnecessary parts. Instead he's a pretty honest guy. Changes only what needs to be changed. He charges quite a bit (80% of what the dealer charges for labor), but I have never had to bring the car back for work he's done on my car.

I just though I'd post this to help others if they have similar problems. I would never have thought to change the temperature sensor.

Last edited by jrmd01; 04-06-2005 at 12:25 PM.