E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Is my car totaled? *Pics ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming the other insurance company decides to pay they would owe you full retail not trade in. The value is based on the cars condition, milage and equipment. If you have the custum wheels they would add maybe at most just a few hundred to the value of the car. If you can use the wheels on another car you would be better off putting the original wheels back on the car. The best way to determine the value of the car would be to find one for sale similar to yours. The best place to check would be the MB dealership since they are always over priced. If they do not offer enough then you can try and keep the salvage and make a lowball 10% offer for the salvage. The adjuster just wants to close the file and if it looks like he paid you what he felt the car was worth his file looks good even if he let you keep the salvage for less than it is worth. The most they will get for the salvage is 25% and the still have to pay the towing, storage and disposal fee on the car which can easily be $500.

If you are not interested in the car please let me know what you can but it for. I might be interested.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more info.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 300E
I hate to say it but if the blue book is $7k, I'd start looking for a new car. You can fight with the ins. co. about what your car is worth, but in the end you really have to just take what they will give you. I would at least inquire about the salvage value. Cml55 is right, the ins. adjuster just wants to get this off his plate. If you can get the car for $1,000, you might be able to make some money, given you have another buyer or a place to stor and part out the car. If your wiring harness is recent you might be able to sell that on ebay for about $500 alone considering they go for about $800 new.