E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Auto gearbox changing up too early

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto gearbox changing up too early

My 1993 300E (W124) has suddenly started changing up very early. It will pull away in 2nd, change to 3rd and then to 4th before the speed even reaches 40kph. It will also not kick-down when pressing the kick-down switch at the end of the accelerator pedal travel.

Moving the gear selector to 3 changes the gear to 3rd, but moving it back to drive immedialety changes it back to 4th, even though I give it lots of accelerator. E-S selector switch is always in S.

Performance seems to be fine, other than a bit sluggish because of the higher gear and lower speed. Cruising at 120kph is normal. There does not appear to be any slipping.

Anyone have any ideas for me?
Old 04-13-2005, 04:47 AM

that can be adjusted by the bowden cable.

do a search on 'bowden cable' in www.mercedesshop.com and you will get tons of helpful information on how to do that.
good luck.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:03 AM

Thanks for the pointer benz300, I have now read almost every post I can find on the bowden cable and then last night I took the car out on the road to adjust it. Well, after stopping about 25 times, adjusting a bit, and testing for about an hour, there is no change whatsoever! In fact, no adjustment (whether tightening or loosening the adjusting nut) has any effect. I definately have the correct cable because I found some pictures in the posts which show it very clearly.

After reading Haynes a bit, (not very helpful) I am now thinking that maybe there is a vacuum problem? Haynes mentions a few vacuum pipes to the transmission, but no more detail. However, all other vacuum operated devices on the car seem to work OK.

Does anyone please have any info on my original problem and/or the transmission and its vacuum connections/operation/adjustment?
Old 04-14-2005, 03:48 AM

Trevor,
try posting this in www.mercedesshop.com and let's see what kind of response you get. I'm sure there are people in this forum who can help as well but over there you get a rather quick and precise response.
more over, if you havent experienced any change with the adjustment of the bowden cable, that doesnt soud right.
even half a turn makes noticeable difference. could it be that the cable itself has built so much slack and tightening is not doing the trick? the other end of the cable attaches to the tranny so have a look at that end as well to see if it's properly fitted at the tranny end.
keep us posted and do post on the other forum.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:07 AM

Thanks, I've posted on the other forum and will check out the other end of the bowden cable tonight. It makes sense that it may be loose down at the transmission - that's why my adjusting did nothing?? I'll let you know what I find.