E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Tune Up Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124
Tune Up Questions

I'm getting closer to do the big tune up on my car since I bought it two weeks ago but I still have a couple questions about it. When relpacing the cap and rotor do I have to reset or set the timing like in other vehicles and if I do where do I do it? Second, does anyone know where I can purchase Magnecor wires in Northern California (preferably Sacramento or the Bay Area) or a legit online vendor for Magnecor wires for benz's? Lastly, Does anyone have any experience replacing the valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket? I figure they've been in the car since 87' and they're probably hard and crusty by now. I just want to get an idea of the degree of difficulty I'll be running into. I'm also thinking of doing this because the paint on my valve cover is chipping off so I'm thinking of repainting it again.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:14 PM

96 S600 Euro, 91 560 SEC, 88 300TE, 87 560SEL, 86 560SL, 80 280SE, 64 Austin Healey 3000MIII
Originally Posted by NorCal124
I'm getting closer to do the big tune up on my car since I bought it two weeks ago but I still have a couple questions about it. When relpacing the cap and rotor do I have to reset or set the timing like in other vehicles and if I do where do I do it? Second, does anyone know where I can purchase Magnecor wires in Northern California (preferably Sacramento or the Bay Area) or a legit online vendor for Magnecor wires for benz's? Lastly, Does anyone have any experience replacing the valve cover gasket and the oil pan gasket? I figure they've been in the car since 87' and they're probably hard and crusty by now. I just want to get an idea of the degree of difficulty I'll be running into. I'm also thinking of doing this because the paint on my valve cover is chipping off so I'm thinking of repainting it again.
No resetting of any time required.. I've never even worked on a car that required as much..but then again, I stop @ 95.

Why magnacor? I've been running/selling Beru's for Some time now w/ excellent results. Best OE wire on the market. Valve covers and oil pan gaskets are easy. If they're not leaking I wouldn't change them just to change them. I lot of people have the valve cover powder coated. Holds up well and doesn't cost much.

Do you have the factory manuals?

Drop me a line off list, I may be able to help on many fronts

Also, when was the last time the trans was serviced? Should be every 20K. Diff fluid is often overlooked, as is the power steering fluid and filter.

Now that spring is here it's time to change the coolant and flush the brake fluid as well (be sure to use the correct MB coolant, saves those aluminum bits..).

jhodgman@gmail.com

Jonathan
Old 04-20-2005, 06:26 PM

W124
The gaskets are leaking somewhat and when I felt the valvecover gasket it was pretty stiff. I have scheduled for the transmission fluid and filter along w/ the diff. oil to be changed. The power steering fluid was done less than a year ago by my aunt (the previous owner). I've both had and seen good results w/ Magnecor wires, I thought I'd give them a try on my MB.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:41 PM

W124
Is there anyone else that can provide some tune up tips?