E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Radiator Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:44 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
Radiator Questions

Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a new Radiator. My current stock one right now is pretty messed up. Messed up meaning the "Plastic Radiator Neck" is cracked therefore it needs to be replaced. I've located a few sources to repair the problem but which is temporary of course.

Here's a kit MercedesSource.com offers to repair it.
http://www.mercedessource.com/store/...r%20Neck%20Kit

Or I could go with a whole new radaitor from BEHR with the updated neck which is stronger due to a improve neck which consists of a metal ring inside.

Any suggestions on what I should do? Needs to be replaced SOON though especially when summer and hotter heat is right around the corner.

Also, does anyone know where I can get a good deal on the radiator itself and a estimate on how much labor should turn out?

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:25 PM

W124
You might not need to replace the whole radiator but just the reservoir itself. Mercedes dealerships would definitely be able to get you one but you'd better have yourself a tube of KY and be ready to bend over when you go to buy it. I'd suggest hitting up a recycler or dismantler for one of those. Probably shouldn't cost you more than 50 bucks at the most and while you're at it get a new cap too ($12 at dealership) because the seal on those things wear out fast. Replacing an actual radiator core may seem straight forward but if you can avoid it do so. I had to replace a radiator on a 91 Acura Legend once. It was a great learning experience but I don't want to do it again. The best way to get ready for the summer is to run some radiator flush through your system (get the strong stuff). When refilling use the proper 50/50 mix of orange stuff and distilled water to prevent corosion in the radiator core. It wouldn't hurt either to get a coolant additive like the ones made by royal purple or redline oil. There are also a few generic brand stuff available at your local auto parts store that do the same job. If you have green coolant in your system now flush it thoroughly or have a professional do it like I did before adding the MB orange coolant. Experience in the automotive field has taught me that mixing the two can actually cause a gelling effect which you do not want to have happen in your core or block. After gathering radiator/coolant info myself recently I went ahead and did this job over the weekend. The car runs a lot smoother and cooler in warmer temps and I'm impressed with the results. Hope that helped.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
chris, you can get the readiator thourgh buy parts on mercedesshop.com. they sellit for a decent price, or let me know the year and I will see what dealer wholesale price is.

Install is not hard.

I did a diy writeup a few years ago when I did mine.

AshMan
Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Wait, why would I need to replace the reservoir?

Yeah, I'm not planning on doing the actual install and everything else. I mean it would be a good experience but I just rather pay someone off and have it done right the first time.

I would definately need to flush my whole system when I get or before the new radiator. Should I have the shop do it or should I do it myself. Any recommendations for flush products anyone? I'm actually considering running MB coolant, is it entirely better or what? Thanks for all the help so far NorCal.

Anyone know where I can get some good deals on the updated BEHR radiators? That would be alot of help! also any other info I should know such as how much the dreaded labor might cost.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:53 AM

2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45
just replace it... thats what i did.... my leak was small.... i purchased the radiator for mercedesshop.... i think around 200, 160 ... 180ish.. i dont remember... what i do remember is my dealer was going to charge me like 600+ if i purchased it from them... if your mechanically inclined and have the time... it is probably an easy install... there is an actual DIY link posted when i posed the radiator question on here... i think that same link also includes the labor cost that my dealer charged me to install it....

-carino
Old 04-27-2005, 01:05 AM

W124
If i'm not mistaken the neck you are talking about is the one where you top off your coolant right?? My 260E doesn't have a direct fill point on the radiator itself but just on the reservoir. If its just the neck thats cracked why would you replace the whole radiator??
Old 04-27-2005, 01:06 AM

W124
Nevermind, I was confused by your original post. Radiator work isn't hard, just tedious.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:06 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
No, I'm talking about the upper hose mount neck for the radiator.

why you say? I don't want my engine to overheat if the crack happens to get worst. I'd rather solve the problem now than deal with a bigger one later.

Plastic radiators crack at upper hose mount. Usually last only about 75K miles. All-metal radiators can last 100-150K miles.

Last edited by CDP; 04-27-2005 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:04 AM

ex 300E driver
Theres a place in Miami that sells NEW radiators really cheap. I bought one for my 300E for $100 dollars. It came with copper fittings inside the plastic to prevent cracking, and was a high quality product. They arte a wholesale company, and you buy right out the warehouse. It installed with no problem and carried a lifetime warranty. Hey, cant beat that
Old 04-27-2005, 02:07 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Damn mike, that sounds really good! Do they have a website or something? A deal like that over here is something I can only wish for.

btw...is a BEHR radiator?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:14 AM

W124
try 1-800-radiators. lifetime warranty AND they deliver right to your door within a couple hours.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:55 AM

ex 300E driver
Here is their website: http://www.lazaroradiators.com/
Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Just got back from visiting a MB mechanic local to me that a guy recommended me to (Josh R) and I'm getting a new radiator tomorrow, installed and everything else.

200 for radiator which isnt too bad at all and everything flush with MB Coolant. Labor is only 80 as well. Is that pretty good?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:00 PM

As long as it is the roiginal behr radiator then it is all good if you ask me.

I paid $230.00 for my radiator which is behr from the mb dealer, and got my coolant fromt hem too. I think in total it cost me about $250.00 for the radiator, coolant and I think a new seatbelt extender arm.

I installed it myself. I havent had any problems with it. I would rather pay more for the oem radiator than use an aftermarket one.

AshMan
Old 04-28-2005, 09:04 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yeah, it's definately the OEM BEHR Radiator with the updated neck. Sounds really decent. I think I like this mechanic, when I was talking to him. He gave me the good feeling and felt trustworthy. Know what I mean? Anyhow, I take it in tomorrow and should get it back the same day. All and all it should be almost or at 300 since he's also ordering new hoses.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:34 PM

88 260 E
Ashman,

Do you scrape going up Mr. MB's driveway? I don't remember if he had a drive up ramp lift or a flush hydro lift. Thinking if I need to take the bumper off before I head out his way or not..

thanks,

~Cali
Old 04-29-2005, 12:22 AM

I don;t scrape, but I do go in at as much of an angle as possible. in any driveway

If I rememebr correctly, his lift is the kind you drive in and then the side pieces swing under the car to attach, though it may be the kind with the center pole, I forget. I think it is the center pole kind...

Either way, your car is pretty low witht he spoiler, if you can remove it easily, I would say just remove it to be safe.

When are you planning on heading out his way?
AshMan
Old 04-29-2005, 10:00 AM

88 260 E
Thanks Alon, I think I'll look up those pics you had of Mr. MB's a while back.

yeah I try to hit driveways at an angle as much as I can too. But it doesn't help if the driveways are those small steep ones. I luv these new extra wide low driveways they've been having at gas stations lately. I wish they could all be like that.. Anywayz all this talk about radiators
got me thinking it's time to get mine flushed. Summer's around the corner and you know how hot W124's can get in traffic.It's normally fine but if you get stuck on the 405 on those supper hot summer days, I start getting nervous. Don't want to be left stranded & overheated on the June 11th cruise..haha

Quick ? Alon did you see my post about alarms? What do you think about those new digital pager alarms? I really need to upgrade ASAP, man my daily got hella keyed a few weeks ago, & then somebody squeezed in behind my ML and scuffed the bumper. This week I know of 5 people that got their cars keyed. No respect no more, I caught these stupid kids tagging on my restaraunt table in front of their mom. So I creep up and I'm like WTF why do you let your kids do that , and most of all do that right in front of U? She just smiled and chuckled, anywayz I gave them a can of Comet sum steel wool to clean it up then 86'd them from my spot...Sorry for the rant, I think I would go postal if I caught somebody mess'n with my 124....

~Cali
Old 04-29-2005, 09:30 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Ben, I understand the feeling when somebody keyed your car. Luckily it wasn't your W124. I'm assuming it was on the ML then?

I remember when some punk kid literally keyed "*** you" on my right quarter panel. Luckily it wasn't deep at all and thank god I'm not in high school anymore. People have nothing better to do than mess with people cars.

Anyhow, I got my Radiator installed today. 340 total. That's including radiator, MB Coolant and labor. I can't complain. Now I don't have eto stress about driving the car when its hot and what not.

If anyone wants to go to a good MB Mechanic in the OC area, let me know...I can high recommend the guy I go too. Very trustworthy and does his business right.

btw ben, what kind of Restaurant do you own? Is it pho? jk. :p
Old 05-02-2005, 10:47 AM

88 260 E
That's great Chris, peace of mind is the best. Well they actually keyed both the ML & the Altima..That's a nay on the pho spot, haha. My wife's family owns a Thai restaraunt in the valley.

BTW sorry bout the rims, I thought I emailed you awhile back. Well they're still wrapped up in my garage, you're more then welcum to check them out anytime. I haven't had time to really put them up for sale beyond posting them in this forum...

FOR SALE - 17" OEM MB ,NOT REPLICAS !!!! Mint 17x8 Monosport IV's 225/45 almost new Conti Sports...$700 firm, So Cal area.

~Cali
Attached Thumbnails Radiator Questions-pdr_0003.jpg  
Old 05-02-2005, 04:30 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Hey Ben,

I pm'd you about the wheels.
Old 05-02-2005, 10:38 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Quick question...

I was wondering how you guys do on your coolant? I took a look at my expansion tank for my radiator coolant and I still saw some particles in there...could it be that the shop didnt flush the engine and what not completely? looks like rust deposits. Anyways, I was just wondering how long coolant last for oyu guys? and if I should go to MB and buy some MB Coolant just incase.