E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

18x8.5s in the front?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 e320, 01 c5 vette
18x8.5s in the front?

im pretty sure i can squeeze 18x8.5 et35 in the rear of my e320, but am very skeptical for the front. found a great set of 2 piece rh cups but theyre only avaliable 18x8.5s all around. anybody sucessfully do this without extreme modification of the fenders? will be lowering 2" too. or 18x8s the widest i can go?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:41 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Ash Ashman and Ben for a reply, they are the kings at the wheels they put on their cars.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:53 AM

88 260 E
It could be done. What's your whole lowering set-up going to be? Alot of factors are involved tire size, (off-set you have right), what brand lowering springs and shocks.

You can run 18.5's 225/40 if you roll the fenders and add AMG fender spacers. If you don't want to roll the fenders or add fender spacers run stretched out 215/40's. I wouldn't suggest you do that if you drive alot though. Best bet is just find some 18.8's and avoid all the hassle.
DO NOT get Eibachs !! I can guarantee that you'll have camber issues and even though they only lower about 3/4" they're too soft and you'll end up hitting and rubbing more then with H &R's or Vogtlands over dips..Just make sure you couple with Bilstein sports...

~Cali
Old 05-10-2005, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
that et of 35 probably not good for a standard W124 front end...that et works well for SLs and 500Es.

Rear OK but without mods or spacers stick with the 8s in the front, especially with a lowered ride height.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 PM

95 e320, 01 c5 vette
cali,

i'm already set on running vogtlands and bilstein sports. seems to be the standard setup for max drop plus good handling and not as much camber issues. just threw a set of bilsteins on the vette and they are awesome. even though i just picked up the e320 4 days ago and the shocks are a month old, im going to the bilsteins. i'll be going with bump 1's all around as well. i will be driving the car for a good amount so the stretched out 215s is kind of a concern. if i must, must go 8.5s in the front, what exactly are fender spacers? im familiar with the fender rolling. thanks for all the help guys. i hope to have all this stuff in and running by next saturday.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:12 AM

88 260 E
Gawww,

Great choice going with the Vogtland/Bilstein sport set-up. Well fender spacers are lil poly-urethane grommets. They look like thick rubber washers.
They mount below the front fender to push the fenders out a lil so you have more room. This was AMG's solution so they could run wider/bigger rims.I'm actually doing this mod this week. I'm hoping I can make enough room to run 19's. I wouldn't run stretched out 215's you have to be so careful where you drive becuzz it offers no lip protection for you rims. If you want to avoid all the hassle just find a nice set of 18x8's you'll be fine, less of a headache to. I wouldn't suggest you go my route or Ashman's unless you're really into modding and confronting major challenges..

~Cali
Old 05-15-2005, 03:28 PM

95 e320, 01 c5 vette
Cali,

where can i find a link to amg fender spacers? i think i saw what it was on a japanese website, but not being japanese, i could only guess. i actually found a set of 18x8 front, 18x9 rear wheels. so the question is, can i make 9s fit in the back, assuming the correct offset of course. What spring pad setup did you go with the vogtlands? I want max drop, with only enough marginal wheel gap. Thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 03:43 PM

88 260 E
Originally Posted by gaww
Cali,

where can i find a link to amg fender spacers? i think i saw what it was on a japanese website, but not being japanese, i could only guess. i actually found a set of 18x8 front, 18x9 rear wheels. so the question is, can i make 9s fit in the back, assuming the correct offset of course. What spring pad setup did you go with the vogtlands? I want max drop, with only enough marginal wheel gap. Thanks
Ask Sander, if he can't get them. I'll ask this guy I got them from. But you won't need them now that you're running 18x8's. As for the spring pads. Let the springs and shocks settle in for a month first then go back and adjust the pads. You'll have to get 1 size bigger up front to level Vogtlands out.

~Cali
Old 05-18-2005, 04:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Spacers are cool

Originally Posted by gaww
where can i find a link to amg fender spacers?
You have to thank Dave for the info about the spacers.

AMG Spacers -Full Kit

Spacer close-up
Old 05-18-2005, 04:16 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Damn, I'm interested in getting them just or the hell of it! haha

Is it only for the front only?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:08 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
No worries with Vogtland

Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
Is it only for the front only?
My understanding is that you can use them front and rear, but the front is where most people have the problems.

Of course you probably won't have any problems, since you went with the Vogtland springs. I read that you don't even need to adjust the camber, even if you slam your car, as long as you use the Vogtland springs. You can go low with no / \ . I read that Vogtland rewrote the laws of trigonometry, so I'm sure you won't have camber issues or rubbing issues. Don't bother installing the AMG spacers or adjustable camber arms.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:28 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
You're correct. : ] My camber is almost near perfect from what I can see. Perhaps I need an alignment but I think that's the most I would ever need to do.

Would the AMG Fender Spacers be needed if 8.5 width wheels are put into play? I just want them because it might look good.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:42 AM

88 260 E
Chris,

I think King was being sarcastic, becuz of my negative statements about Eibachs and their camber issues compared to Vogtlands. I'm not a saleman for Vogtland or am I going to try to expalin the intricate physics behind why Eibachs suck compared to H & R or Vogtlands. I can just speak from personal experience and if it can help out others, that's what this forum is all about.
I can say from having both set-ups and comparing the two that Eibachs are a great deal softer and mushier compared to H & R's or Vogtlands. H & R's are a tad harsher in the ride but I found Vogtlands to be the best compromise between comfort
and performance between the 3 brands. It's up to the individual to make their choice, but if you want to sit there and ponder the laws of physics and keep on asking yourself why, why, why then that's also up to you. I just wonder is it too much of a coincidence that when I had Eibachs I had huge front camber problems After the Vogtland install it went away. I never stated that you will get 0 camber probs, as we know all cars are different but compared to my original Eibach set-up it's night & day. I do have adjustable camber arms in the rear , not becuzz I needed them but more just to have.

Chris* You can compare how the fenders look with and without the spacers after I'm done with my install.

~Cali

Last edited by CaliE320; 05-18-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:36 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Great!

Originally Posted by CaliE320
I think King was being sarcastic, becuz of my negative statements about Eibachs and their camber issues compared to Vogtlands.
~Cali
I was being sarcastic. I suppose it is just sour grapes from me, since I wish I had those awesome Vogtland springs. I checked some reviews of the Vogtland springs and they do sound very good. I never read anything about them, when I was shopping for things for my car. From what I read, it was Eibach or H&R, so I went for the softer and less extreme drop of the Eibachs. I am happy that my car rides the way it does. I wouldn’t want it any more firm and I don’t need it to be any lower.

It is GREAT that you guys share your experiences. That is what makes these forums so good. I just wish I knew what I know now, when I modified my suspension. It isn’t that I am dissatisfied with my current set-up, but I do wonder if the Vogtlands would be a bit different. In general, however, I still think that it is the reduced ride height that causes the camber to be more negative. I think if the Vogtlands produce a greater drop, then they must make the camber more negative. I guess I will never know for sure, because I am staying with what I already know. My car feels pretty good.