E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

no other problem can be as irritating than this

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no other problem can be as irritating than this

Hey,
Recently there had been a really bad thunderstorm in my area and I had no choice but to use my 1994 E220 to commute. Now that the weather had dried up a bit, the car had developed a new problem.
When I steer more (e.g. for parking), the car would make this really loud noise as if a bearing is badly lubricated or metal parts are rubbing against one another.
I suspect this might be due to the rain crashing onto the steering column and bringing some lubricants with it, hence the noise.
Does anyone have any ideas with this problem? What should I look for? What can I do to cure this. This is really embarrassing because that noise is so loud and squeaky.

Thanks in advance for any info,
Jeff
Old 05-10-2005, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Just a couple of guesses

Hi, Jeff.

Given the symptoms you describe, if it's a high-pitched squeal (and not a lower-pitched grinding-shearing type sound) it's very possible it's just the drive belt for the power steering unit. Check the belt and see if it's tight and if so, visually inspect it for cracking, wear or to see if it's really shiny. If it's in question, replace it. (The reason you wouldn't hear it during normal driving is that the ps unit has to work more at slower speeds, and as you load the ps by cranking harder on the steering wheel, that will cause the belt to slip if it's not in good condition and properly tightened to the correct tension.)

I've driven through some nasty weather in all kinds of cars and can't imagine that MBZ would have any serious failure just because of rain, unless you drove through really deep puddles and simply flooded the engine compartment...if you'd done that you'd have lots more problems.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 05-11-2005, 01:57 AM

Thanks for your reply Greg.
However I have no idea where the steering belt is...
It is quite high pitched and only happens when you steer more than half a round...

Is there anything I can to do stop the noise without travelling to the mechanic (assuming it is the belt)?

Thanks once again
Jeff
Old 05-11-2005, 03:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Is the car completely dry under the hood? I'm thinking the belt may still be wet. The belt is at the front of the engine behind the radiator and fan.

If it's dry you'll have to suspect a bad tensioner or belt. The tensioner may have seized from corrosion or the belt is glazed. Also, though the belt may look okay, it may have stretched to the limit of what the tensioner can handle and is now a bit slack. How old is the belt?
Old 05-20-2005, 12:49 AM

To be honest I have no idea how old the belt is..
However, the noise really doesn't sound like a bad stretched belt.. It sounds as if a joint is desperate for grease.. But then, I have no idea which part to inspect etc..

Any ideas?
Old 05-26-2005, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 300E, 93 Blazer full size 4x4, 01 GSXR 1000
Try putting your hand, or screwdriver attached to ear, on the strut towers. They will be the black round metal and rubber looking things on top of the front shock/struts under the hood. Have someone turn the wheel back and forth most of the way and see if the noise is coming from there.