E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Conversion of engine for Mercedes Benz 260E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Conversion of engine for Mercedes Benz 260E

Previously I posted regarding the problems faced by my 1991 Mercedes Benz 260E. Now the problems worsen when the exhaust manifold broke resulted with my car sounds like a car without exhaust. Apart from that, the transmission problems (the major problem) worsen and I had to top up an amount of gearbox fluid (ATF). My fellow mechanics told me that the only way to save the car is by either change the gearbox and the exhaust manifold or the best way is to change the engine to E280 (W124) engine. 2.8 litre, Multivalve engine, they said that it is the best way to save my car, while others suggested me to use the 1JZ-GTE (Toyota Supra) engine. I need your opinion which is the best engine that my Merc can use without jeopardizing its comfort and safety wise. Please help me.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:10 AM

88 260 E
Originally Posted by Fardell
Previously I posted regarding the problems faced by my 1991 Mercedes Benz 260E. Now the problems worsen when the exhaust manifold broke resulted with my car sounds like a car without exhaust. Apart from that, the transmission problems (the major problem) worsen and I had to top up an amount of gearbox fluid (ATF). My fellow mechanics told me that the only way to save the car is by either change the gearbox and the exhaust manifold or the best way is to change the engine to E280 (W124) engine. 2.8 litre, Multivalve engine, they said that it is the best way to save my car, while others suggested me to use the 1JZ-GTE (Toyota Supra) engine. I need your opinion which is the best engine that my Merc can use without jeopardizing its comfort and safety wise. Please help me.

What kind of tranny problems are you having? Is it just a leak? Exhaust manifolds can be found at your local dismantler for cheap. I would think fixing your existing problems are alot cheaper and wiser then going to a full engine swap..

~Cali
Old 06-06-2005, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
i don't understand much about engines but i don't see why you would need to swap out the engine in the first place...