E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

LQQK - Adjustable REAR CAMBER ARMS 300e/190e

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 PM
MTI
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'85 190E 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
I agree with the concept of keeping race technology and street/daily driver uses somewhat separated. It is always appealing and "sexy" to have what the racers use, but there's several reasons why what works on the track does not work for street cars.

There's the elements of physics dealing with forces and the operating environment that the car operates in. What does a race car weigh versus a street car? How long is a race car chassis' life expectancy, both in miles and years? How often does a race car get stripped down for inspection and maintenance?
Old 07-29-2005, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
cali who is speedybnz and what kind of arms are they. i need some since all the rear suspension is getting a facelift. also how much were they?

i need to order them when i get back from the keys. if i dont like the speedybnz ones i will go with the ones on ebay. i talked at length with the guys at the shop and they said the heims will suck because they are non-forgiving but the rubber mounts still give you that smooth ride feel.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 AMG 190E EVO2DTM, 240T Turbo Benz, 84 AMG 190E, 560SEC-TT, 95 C36 & a BHG 98 C230
When you first install the FULL Heim end suspension it feels great. It is quiet and the car has a great feel to it. BUT if it is not maintained or lubricated after about a year play will start to develop in the ends and eventually you might or might not hear metallic noises coming from the area. It is like a very slight tick. If you track your car heim ends are the best, but for the few who don't maintenance is the key when using heim ends.

When I was working on the race team, all suspension joints were inspected after every race weekend. Heim or rubber they were inspected and tested and replaced if necessary. And if replaced they were replaced in groups.
Heim rod ends used on sway bars are usually the first to go out and this is only after 3-4 race week ends. Suspension Rod ends usually lasted the season but they are larger than what is used on the bars others are selling.

Also the point about stressing the chassis mounting points using a solid mount is very true.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92 AMG 190E EVO2DTM, 240T Turbo Benz, 84 AMG 190E, 560SEC-TT, 95 C36 & a BHG 98 C230
Originally Posted by MTI
Actually, my involvement is minimal to none. I loaned an adjustable camber arm to the seller for him to take dimensions and he's having them made and is the Ebay seller. I'm awaiting reciept of a set to install in my car.
Ha ha ha....

I borrowed the arms from him because I was going to make similar arms.
But I looked at the overall picture and decided everyone is making them
so I felt the supply was ample.

But I felt there was a need for a more universal product and more than
half the people dont track their car but have camber problems. My Aunties
own car (92 190e 2.6) prompted me to look further into making a factory style
camber arm. Her car is stock but constantly overloads her car with books
(teacher) and her rear tires were always wearing out on the inside every
1.5 years and her car is not lowered by springs. I didn't want to install
something on her car she would not maintain.

Since I am in the auto racing business in Asia, I work with many auto
manufacturers in thier specialized vehicle/racing depts. I used my
connections to manufacture these arms and are able to sell them at an
afforable price.

I can manufacture Aircraft quality aluminum arms with aircraft qualty heim
ends if needed, but since there are others doing so already I figured it would
be a waste of my time.

I will also have the adjustable Thrust arm available soon. I don't feel it is
necessary but there are the few who feel the need to adjust this also.

To the few who are knocking me.... This is America, if you don't like it don't buy it.

Last edited by Darth Speed; 07-29-2005 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally Posted by Darth Speed
When you first install the FULL Heim end suspension it feels great. It is quiet and the car has a great feel to it. BUT if it is not maintained or lubricated after about a year play will start to develop in the ends and eventually you might or might not hear metallic noises coming from the area. It is like a very slight tick. If you track your car heim ends are the best, but for the few who don't maintenance is the key when using heim ends.

Also the point about stressing the chassis mounting points using a solid mount is very true.
My heim rear end actually offers much improved ride quality and smoothness because the heims offer a greater degree of movement and thus allow the suspension to move the way it was designed to.

And I will reiterate that the thrust arm is necessary to isolate camber and adjust it correctly. The radius arm isn't necessary to replace unless you want the ability to adjust caster as well.

Darth, FYI, I'm not "knocking you." I said in my post on the CLK forum that it's always great (and greatly appreciated) to see people making parts for our cars, as Benz owners seem to take a backseat to Bimmer owners when it comes to the aftermarket. I was merely pointing out possible design problems, as well as offering some more information :0)
Old 07-29-2005, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E320 CDI
Darth Speed

Very well said. I also was not "knocking you". According to MTI, these are the first sets made. As with any product, the first production CAN be improved once flaws reveal themselves. These are the very reasons why most people don't buy the first production Mercedes ie. 86 300E, 93/96/97/98 320E.

Your product could very well be the best arms in the market since you've designed it for "daily drivers" who don't regularly inspect/maintain their suspension. Until people have experience with them, there will always be questions about it's durability...and rightfully so, since it's an important component of the suspension.

As Josh K has already pointed out, I think most on this forum appreciate people like you who are making products for the Benz. There are NOT alot of stuff out there. I still have not lowered my Benz because I'm still looking for ways to keep my camber within normal range. I do not want to buy tires every 6months because of uneven wear. When I was single, that would not have been an issue. But now that I've got a family, my money goes to more important things like milk and diapers.

Anyway keep up the good work. Maybe you can design something for the front cambers. THERE are LOTS of people looking for ways to correct the FRONT camber. You'll definitely make money there.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:14 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
I was wrong, but now I know too

Originally Posted by Josh K
I checked with K-Mac, and they DO offer a front camber kit for the 124 - it's the same kit that's used on the 208. I'm going to be getting one of these kits in the near future, and K-Mac offers GB discounts.
You are right and I was wrong. K-MAC does have a front camber adjustment bushing for the W124. I don't remember it being available when I purchased my rear bushings, but maybe I just overlooked it. It looks like it is the same kind of thing as the one for the rear. So far, I don't think I need the front bushings, since my car is only about 1 inch lower. I suppose the slammed W124s may need both the front bushings and rear bushings. Then again, if the car is slammed, I have read that the K-MAC rear bushings don't allow enough adjustment to bring the camber back into spec. As already mentioned above, my understanding is that the adjustable arms provide additional adjustment, but they do push the tire out and the ends don't have a rubber or poly bushing for a quiet comfortable street ride. It looks like the new arms may have solved one of the issues with the adjustable arms.
Old 08-07-2005, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 AMG C63s
guys could you post some more contact info and prices?

i am back from vacation and need to buy a set this week.

i need the upper arms that will adjust the camber.