E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

My Last Hope for Owning a Mercedes until Later; an AWD 300E

Old 07-24-2005, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Mercedes-Benz 300D 2.5 Turbo
Exclamation My Last Hope for Owning a Mercedes until Later; an AWD 300E

How is the 1990-1992 4matic 300E rated in comparison with some of the other older Benzs? What is the cost of parts like? I'm a "do-it-yourself"er and would not be taking it to the dealership. How many files can I expect to get from the engine? What are some common problems with this particular car? Also, what kind of gas mileage will I be able to expect out of this car? (for this particular quesiton, I'd prefer someone who doesn't accelereate as quickly as possible all the time, doesn't use his/her brakes hard, etc). can I expect 25 MPG on the highway if I drove that way? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300Es are relatively trouble free, but when they break they can get expensive very quickly.

the 4matics have many bespoke engine and suspension parts, and have more problems with said parts than the standard 300Es.
25 MPG is achievable if you are easy on the right pedal and know how to use momentum. i can get 28plus in my 2.6 when im not on a "fuel economy" run. thats including urban driving although its a small percentage of my overall total.

the cars are capable of 40000 miles easily with good maintenance. these are among the last of the overengineered benzes.

if you can avoid the 4matic, do so.

the 103 engine needs a cylinder head rebuilt after about 120000 miles. something about a weak head gasket and valve guides or something. cant specifically recall.
some have AC issues that get real expensive real quick.
some have springg/ supsnsion issues. but those are far less frequent.
some have transmission issues, but its a well documented problem and was mostly fixed by 1990.

good luck
Old 07-25-2005, 12:37 AM

Exclamation Thank you

Originally Posted by neanderthal
300Es are relatively trouble free, but when they break they can get expensive very quickly.

the 4matics have many bespoke engine and suspension parts, and have more problems with said parts than the standard 300Es.
25 MPG is achievable if you are easy on the right pedal and know how to use momentum. i can get 28plus in my 2.6 when im not on a "fuel economy" run. thats including urban driving although its a small percentage of my overall total.

the cars are capable of 40000 miles easily with good maintenance. these are among the last of the overengineered benzes.

if you can avoid the 4matic, do so.

the 103 engine needs a cylinder head rebuilt after about 120000 miles. something about a weak head gasket and valve guides or something. cant specifically recall.
some have AC issues that get real expensive real quick.
some have springg/ supsnsion issues. but those are far less frequent.
some have transmission issues, but its a well documented problem and was mostly fixed by 1990.

good luck
You have been immensely helpful, alas, a 4matic would be the only way to go for me, because my parents refuse to get me a rear wheel drive car (Ohio winters can be bad), with the added fact that I'm a new driver....that makes them really bite down on the "no RWD thing", thus I thought the possibility existed for an AWD.....bummer that the 4matics aren't as good.....

edit: Do you mean 400,000 and not 40,000?

Last edited by Fox McCloud; 07-25-2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:45 AM

2001 ML320, 1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4
Fox McCloud - I would not rule them out. All that neanderthal is stating is that an AWD vehicle has more moving parts than a 2WD vehicle and therefore you have increased maintenance and cost associated with it. That is the price you pay for increased traction during the winter and the security that your parents are looking for you. It is not that they "aren't as good", if anything they will drive circles around a 2WD 300E in the snow and ice, but will cost you more to maintain.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:53 AM

2008 E92 M3
i currently drive a 4-Matic and it is great in winter, shes currently got 87,xxx miles on it about to hit 88K very soon, im thinking about selling her for a newer Mercedes, i am the second owner of her and she has been in my family since she rolled out of the showroom. As of now shes in excellent condition, no engine problems and runs great, had to re-align her a few times but thats about it. If you are interested shoot me a PM or sumthin.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:30 PM

Exclamation Ok.

Thanks again for the information, this will be extremely helpful....hopefully my parents will go for this.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:16 PM

2001 ML320, 1999 Ford F-350 Super Duty 4x4
Fox McCloud - Please remember that a AWD vehicle does not make you a better driver. It just means that you have a better mechanical setup to get the power to the ground in marginal situations. Dedicated snow tires will improve your traction more, but you cannot stop any faster and once the snow builds up under the frame you are as stuck as a 2WD vehicle. Too often I see people get in over their heads with AWD and 4WD vehicles because of their ability to power their way through mud and snow. I have done both rally racing and off roading. There is an off road saying which applies to AWD vehicles too which is, "all 4WD does is get you stuck further off the road".

Good luck to you and drive safe!!
Old 07-25-2005, 04:14 PM

Exclamation Yes

Originally Posted by Ronin007
Fox McCloud - Please remember that a AWD vehicle does not make you a better driver. It just means that you have a better mechanical setup to get the power to the ground in marginal situations. Dedicated snow tires will improve your traction more, but you cannot stop any faster and once the snow builds up under the frame you are as stuck as a 2WD vehicle. Too often I see people get in over their heads with AWD and 4WD vehicles because of their ability to power their way through mud and snow. I have done both rally racing and off roading. There is an off road saying which applies to AWD vehicles too which is, "all 4WD does is get you stuck further off the road".

Good luck to you and drive safe!!
I understand this and agree, but that is not the overall problem, the problem is the fishtailing and easier loss of traction.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

slow down.

too many people drive too fast in wet/ snowy conditions. i know people who have driven past four wheel drives stuck on the side of the road, in a RWD sportscar.

knowing how to drive will get you there more than the equipment. the equipment is just insurance.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:53 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by neanderthal
slow down.

too many people drive too fast in wet/ snowy conditions. i know people who have driven past four wheel drives stuck on the side of the road, in a RWD sportscar.

knowing how to drive will get you there more than the equipment. the equipment is just insurance.
I could not agree more. I definitely don't drive over the speed limit as it is, and I do not intend to. I'll definitely slow down even more when it snows, but still my parents will still cling on to the "rear wheel drive" thing, and thus a FWD or AWD is the only way to go....and Mercedes doesn't make a FWD that is attractive and available in the US. Therefore, AWD is the only thing left.