E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Regulator or motor gone bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 03:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99 ML 320, 97 Porsche 993 C2S, 92 300E
Question Regulator or motor gone bad?

Car is 92 300E.

Driver's side window will always go down but lately it does not want to go back up. Had this problem for a year or so but it's getting worse. Tested switch and it's fine.

Since the window will go down reliably but not up reliably does that mean the problem is with the regulator and not the motor?

Can the regulator be reconditioned to function normally or will I have to replace it?

Never hear any machine gun noise like something slipping on gears.
Old 08-12-2005, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz w124
it is probably the switch. mine just went bad, take off the center console wood and pull out the switches. just pull , they aren't connected via wires. then replace with another that works fine like one in the back. if it raises and lowers just fine, then you just need to buy another switch. search ebay, they are about 20 for 2 ( price that i paid ) plus another 10 for shipping. at the dealership they charge you about 45 just for one.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
could be the regulator. you wont know until you opent he door. swapping the switch as a first test would be a good idea, but I get the feeling you can gett he window up it is just troublesome.

I would first pull the panel. 2, inspect the regulator. the motor etc, and then I would check to see if the window needs an adjustment.

a couple of times my window got stuck and would not go down, but it was not the regulator or the motor. it was the alignment of the window some how got off. I adjusted it enough to get it to work, but havent takent he time to do it properly. it is a serious pain in the *** to adjust it without following the manual and just doing it by eye.

The regulator May or may not be a pain, I changed the regulator in a 1998 e430, which is probably a different design, but in that car the window would go down but not up.

So I supect the problem could be either an alignment issue or the regulator. I am not sure how you could test the motor.