E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Sway Bars

I have replace the sway bars on my 95 E420 with 500E bars! What I would like to know are the stock bars for the E420 any heavier and would they fit on the E320 ? I still have the stock front and rear bar for my E420!

Smokie
Old 09-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, they are.

i don't know how much bigger, but they are bigger.

you can do a "search" here and at merecedesshop for sway bar diameters.

if you have them laying around, i'd go for it.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Verified and certified info:

300E, E320, 300CE, E320 Wagon 300D, TD E320 Coupe: 26.5mm front, 14.5mm rear

300E 4MATIC: 26mm front 14.5mm rear

300TE 4MATIC: 27mm front 14.5mm rear

300CE Cabrio: 27.5mm front, 14.5mm rear

400E, E420: 26.5mm front, 16mm rear

500E, E500: 28mm front, 18mm rear

Also, the W124 Limo sway bar (which may be hard to find) is 28.5mm up front and the E60 AMG front is 29mm (also hard to find)

All W124 sway bars are 100% interchangeable and now I think I should hit up the 500E ones for Enzo.....thanks for reminding me to spend EVEN MORE money for fun...LOL
Old 09-20-2005, 03:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Here is an awesome reference

You have to thank Dave M. from Boise Idaho

Everything you could ever want to know about swaybars

Based on Dave's files, the E420 front bar is 4mm thicker at the ends, which should stiffen things up a bit. My understanding is that bars for the V8 fit on the six, but the front bars for the six do not fit the V8. There is an extra bend to fit around the V8. Dave's files also show that the 420's rear bar is 1mm thicker than the E320.

Last edited by ksing44; 09-20-2005 at 03:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Well, yeah considering most people want to UPgrade their cars, most won't be putting 6's sways on an 8. :p

Thanks for the other info though!
Old 09-20-2005, 04:06 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
What seems obvious isn't always true.

Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
Well, yeah considering most people want to UPgrade their cars, most won't be putting 6's sways on an 8. :p
As it turns out, the "Limo" bar is for a 6-cylinder and it is the biggest bar for the front of the W124, other than the E60 bar. Similarly, the Sportline bars are for 6-cylinder cars and they are bigger than the E420 front bars.

Not that I consider my E320 to be slow by any standard, but I suppose the 6-cylinder guys try to make up for the lack of power with an increase in handling performance.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
That's not the case at all. I know my car is not a hot rod, but I know it'll outhandle 80% of the sedans out there after the work I've done. Not bad for a 15yr old beater. Who really cares if I have 180HP, my 235km/hr top speed is RARELY used, but spirited cornering is always available.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 AM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
The reason for this post was to see if there was anyone who might want to stiffen up there E320 using the E420 bars. So if anyone wants to try them out $60 plus ship and there yours. Hate to see them go to waste! Thats front and rear! Maybe the E420 bars will do what 500E bars did to mine! Amazing!

Smokie
Old 09-20-2005, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
The fronts on the E420 are the same as the 300E320 and the rear are only 1.5mm larger. That's not enough for anyone to notice. For the pain and cost of installing the rear 16 mm bar, we are better off going with the 500E setup.

Thanks for thinking of us though!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:20 PM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Your right about the rear bar install!! PIA

Smokie
Old 09-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Almost a Member!

How much did you guys pick up your 500E sway bars for? I'm thinking about picking up the front and rear pretty soon.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:34 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
I am so jealous

Originally Posted by Smokiesman
The reason for this post was to see if there was anyone who might want to stiffen up there E320 using the E420 bars. So if anyone wants to try them out $60 plus ship and there yours. Hate to see them go to waste! Thats front and rear! Maybe the E420 bars will do what 500E bars did to mine! Amazing!

Smokie
Thanks for the offer Smokiesman.

I am still planning to get the "Sportline Plus" set-up with the Limo front and E500 rear. I just haven't been able to do it, since this year I had to pay for a new battery, a new water pump, and a new throttle actuator. I also have to get through my 90K check-up, which will definitely include new front brakes. It has been an expensive year for routine maintenance, so I just couldn't splurge for the swaybars. One of these days, however, I am going to finish my suspension upgrade and get those big bars.

I sure am jealous.
Is it really an obvious difference for your car?
Does your car stay almost totally flat in sweeping turns?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:05 AM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Originally Posted by ksing44
Thanks for the offer Smokiesman. .

I sure am jealous.
Is it really an obvious difference for your car?
Does your car stay almost totally flat in sweeping turns?
I put the new bars and KYB struts and rear shocks ! :p And yes it did make a difference. She is now my Bigblue hotrod. V8 power and flat cornering ! don't get better than that. I have thought about springs but I am worried about rubbing issues. If I drop it any lower this old man might now be able to get out of her! I will be rolling out the door! :p :p :p :p

Smokie
Old 09-21-2005, 12:26 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
I am so envious

Originally Posted by Smokiesman
yes it did make a difference. She is now my Bigblue hotrod. V8 power and flat cornering ! don't get better than that.Smokie
I was afraid you were going to say that. I sure wish I could run out and get some big bars right now.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:58 PM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
All ya gotta do is open yer wallet!! "REAL WIDE"

Smokie
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 PM

I was afraid you were going to say that. I sure wish I could run out and get some big bars right now.
When you finally get the SportLine+ setup you are going to be upset with yourself that you waited so long. No understeer, & you have really to push it very hard, harder than you should drive on public roads to break the rear loose.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:11 PM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
I was going for the Sportline setup but I just could not find anyone that sold them. I ended up buying OEM 500E bars.

Smokie
Old 09-22-2005, 03:45 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Sweeter

Originally Posted by ShoreBenz
When you finally get the SportLine+ setup you are going to be upset with yourself that you waited so long. No understeer, & you have really to push it very hard, harder than you should drive on public roads to break the rear loose.
I am already sorry about waiting too long, but it is a simple reality of priorities for our household income.

My car doesn't really break loose frequently, even when cornering pretty hard. I just want less body roll, although I guess it is already better than stock, since I have Eibach springs and Bilstein HD shocks.

I will get the bars one of these days. I am hoping that the waiting will just make it that much sweeter. I also hope that the feeling lives up to the hype. As Smokie suggested, it isn't a cheap upgrade, especially since I will have to pay someone else to install the rear bar. I keep asking, just to be sure everyone agrees that it makes a significant and very noticeable difference. I am already very happy with the improved handling and slightly lowered stance, with the new springs, shocks, slightly larger wheels, and slightly wider tires. I just hope the bars are really worth it, after I finally spend the cash. I don't need them just for bragging rights or to improve the list of mods in my signature on the forums.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:56 AM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Just before I installed my bars I had taken the car to a different installer and he called me and said I had a broken swaybar link! Wondered way the car wallowed thru the corners. Just thought was the nature of the beast. Well the installer tried to pull my teeth out thru my butt for the install so I told him to pound salt and took it to a real indy that just does MBZ. Was gonna be awhile before he could get to car so in the mean time I broke out my little wire welder and welded up the broken bracket ! Boy was like nite and day just doing that ! Then I began to wonder if I would get any benefit of the new 500E bars? Well it stepped it up to another level! When I picked up the car and hit my first sharp turn I had this very large grin ! Which is still there today! Ksing your time will come!

Note: was told by installer that they do break those links quite a bit! In fact because of that he stocked that part! So if your car starts to lean more than normal you may want to check your links. Mine broke up by the frame!

Smokie
Old 09-22-2005, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Mine broke when i went on a corner too hard but i was going to weld it back and do all kinds of dumb shiet but then went to my local salvage yard and got one for $5 also install took like 5 min.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:04 PM

ksing, the bars aren't a waste, but your E320 is fine just the way it is. I like the color combo, the wheels.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:13 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
I love summer

ksing, the bars aren't a waste, but your E320 is fine just the way it is. I like the color combo, the wheels.
Thanks ShoreBenz. I just want to complete my suspension upgrade. I love my car too much to sop now. I hope I can get it done with next-year's bonus. I am little worried, however, that bonuses may be a little smaller at Big Pharma, in the wake of the Viox issue. I work in the Pharmaceutical industry and the entire industry seems to be worried about the fall-out from the Viox deaths.

Too bad summer is over, or maybe you prefer the quieter months of fall. Actually fall is awesome. The only problem is that it ends with winter. I hate taking off my AMG wheels to run my snow tires, even though my 6-hole Special Edition wheels look OK. They just aren't as nice and wide as my AMGs.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:27 AM

Thanks ShoreBenz. I just want to complete my suspension upgrade. I love my car too much to sop now. I hope I can get it done with next-year's bonus. I am little worried, however, that bonuses may be a little smaller at Big Pharma, in the wake of the Viox issue. I work in the Pharmaceutical industry and the entire industry seems to be worried about the fall-out from the Viox deaths.

Too bad summer is over, or maybe you prefer the quieter months of fall. Actually fall is awesome. The only problem is that it ends with winter. I hate taking off my AMG wheels to run my snow tires, even though my 6-hole Special Edition wheels look OK. They just aren't as nice and wide as my AMGs.
I like the summer, but I cycle all year round, & the fall is great for cycling, less traffic, & 70-80 degrees. I have a set of 17x8 E420 Sport replica wheels on, & a set of polished 8 hole rims in the shed I could use for the winter, but I usually drive the truck once the snow, ice, & salt hits the ground.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:43 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Ride, Ride, Ride....

I like the summer, but I cycle all year round, & the fall is great for cycling, less traffic, & 70-80 degrees. I have a set of 17x8 E420 Sport replica wheels on, & a set of polished 8 hole rims in the shed I could use for the winter, but I usually drive the truck once the snow, ice, & salt hits the ground.
I had a beast of a truck (Ford F350 4x4 with a 460 4-barrel), but I finally sold it to a friend because I just don't like driving anything but my W124. My friend has a business where the truck is essential and I just didn't need it anymore. It was a neat dinosaur of a thing to drive, but it was pointless for me to keep it considering how my life has changed. I was tree climber for about 10 years and I was thinking of starting my own business with the awesome pick-up truck, but I then I went back to school and on to graduate school. Now I am a research scientist at a pharmaceutical company and I just don't need a huge truck anymore.

I was also a bit of cyclist, back when I had the truck and then even more during the time when I went back to school. Actually, for about 4 years, all I did was exercise. Ultimately I competed in an ultra distance triathlon in Nice, France. That was back in 1988. Those were very good times for me, living and training with a few very good best friends. On average, we ran 60 miles, biked 300 miles, and swam about 10 miles every week. Sundays were big training days when we routinely ran an 18-mile loop and then biked for 100 miles. The long bike rides always included a stop at a good pastry, pie, or pizza shop, just to keep everything interesting and to fuel our ride for home. It may sound grueling, but it was actually more fun than many people could imagine. We were just so physically fit and we were just out having fun together everyday. Even long winter runs in the snow were a joy back then.

As great as those times were for me, they really don't compare to the joy of being a father and a husband. I could certainly live without having to work all the time, but I would never want to go back to those times, if it meant being without my wife and son. My son is going to be 13-years-old and I am on a little mission, training a little like the old days, to get as fit as possible so that maybe he can start exercising with me. First I am going to let him try a little easy weight lifting with me, but one of my biggest dreams is to ride bikes with my son in the mountains of France and in our own Rocky Mountains. I desperately want to share some of my more memorable experiences on the bike. That time is getting closer, now that he is getting old enough to do the preparation work that is required to truly enjoy such demanding activity. My son is already very fit, since he plays soccer for a travel team and for his school. He is quite a little physical specimen, so who knows, I may have to get pretty fit just to keep up with him.

You sure got me going, when you mentioned your truck. Who knew my memories and dreams were so close to the surface. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that yesterday was my Father's 85th birthday. He is very close to his last days and thinking about him really did bring all my emotions close to the surface. Family is a great thing to have around you.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:34 AM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Amen on the family!

Smokie