E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

3-4 shift flare 1995 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 C55 AMG 6 speed
+1 on the broken link. If you try to open in a new tab, takes you to benzworld.org forum where we can't view if you aren't a member.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 E220
Hi Ksing44,
I think my Bowden cable should look different than yours,my engine is type 111 and your engine is type 104,my engine is just like yours with only 4 cylinders instead of 6,engine type 111 was not introduced in the USA,as it is a small engine,but the idea still the same.
One more information that maybe useful to have a unanimous agreement on the cable I'm adjusting,when I rotate the throttle body butterfly with hand (manually),the engine revs up,this is done the same with Bowden cable when you press the accelerator with foot,I mean Bowden cable revs engine up,the other cable I mentioned in thread #9 does not.
hope I made myself clear.
so I think am adjusting the right cable,but this cable unfortunately is defective as the nut is split from the cable cover.
What do you think?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:43 AM

1996 E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
Don't forget the Bowden Cable only determines when i.e. at what revs the change will occur. It does little if anything to reduce flare.

Flare can be reduced by having more modulating pressure (adjust on the side of the box) or by fitting a spring kit for each gear - in some transmissions with out the need to remove the transmission.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by sub_zero
What photo? does your thread contains photos? I can't see it
Yes, I can see it, but at first it seemed to be hidden. When I went in to edit mode, the photo reappeared.

Try this link, but you may have to log in it is at benzworld
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...wden_cable.jpg
Old 03-15-2011, 09:26 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by sub_zero
Hi Ksing44,
I think my Bowden cable should look different than yours,my engine is type 111 and your engine is type 104,my engine is just like yours with only 4 cylinders instead of 6,engine type 111 was not introduced in the USA,as it is a small engine,but the idea still the same.
One more information that maybe useful to have a unanimous agreement on the cable I'm adjusting,when I rotate the throttle body butterfly with hand (manually),the engine revs up,this is done the same with Bowden cable when you press the accelerator with foot,I mean Bowden cable revs engine up,the other cable I mentioned in thread #9 does not.
hope I made myself clear.
so I think am adjusting the right cable,but this cable unfortunately is defective as the nut is split from the cable cover.
What do you think?
4-cylinders, that can't be an E-Class? Just kidding

Honestly, I think you might be adjusting the throttle linkage, not the Bowden cable to the transmission. I'm no expert, but my Boden cable adjustment does nothing to the rpms at idle. It only affects how long it holds gear when driving. I also agree with a previous poster's comment, I think you will have to adjust the vacuum modulator to significantly impact the flair.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 AM

W124 E220
Originally Posted by ksing44
4-cylinders, that can't be an E-Class? Just kidding

Honestly, I think you might be adjusting the throttle linkage, not the Bowden cable to the transmission. I'm no expert, but my Boden cable adjustment does nothing to the rpms at idle. It only affects how long it holds gear when driving. I also agree with a previous poster's comment, I think you will have to adjust the vacuum modulator to significantly impact the flair.
Hi Ksing44,
yes,you are right,I was adjusting the throttle linkage,and again yes my problem is that the gear does not hold when driving,it just disengages and the engine revs up in 1st and in 3rd.
It may be flare to me but the engine revs up and am still in 1st gear until it shifts to 2nd,then the shifting from 2nd to 3rd is very smooth,after engaging at 3rd the gear disengages and the engine revs up,at first I thought this was flare ,but your wording that throttle linkage hold gears really rang a bell to me,thanks Ksing44.
My problem is in the throttle linkage I think.
From what I described now,I think you agree with me that throttle linkage is the issue here,I need to replace it.
Yesterday I wanted to turn the pressure modulator one clock wise turn,I don't have the tools you have in your provided post,so I went to a car wash station and asked them to wash the car chassis,they put the car on a big jack and raised it up in the ceiling of the station(wow),I went under the car and searched under the drivers side for the modulator,I found a plastic white cap with a small tab ,beside this cap there is a vacuum tube going up to the engine.I think this is what I'm after,but didn't know what to do,can I pull this cap out? I have taken some pics so we can be on the same ground(I have pointed to the object that I think it is the modulator with a white arrow)(pardon my English).
I found this modulator oily,why? does this affect pressure? the black rubber that holds the tube is oily too as you can see in the pic.
Is it easy to adjust the throttle linkage? I'm going to buy a new one,or a second hand one in good condition..what do you think?
Thanks all for your time,I really appreciate it.
Mohammad
P.S. : I'm going to postpone the modulator clockwise turn until I get an adjusted throttle linkage.
Attached Thumbnails 3-4 shift flare 1995 E320-15032011696.jpg   3-4 shift flare 1995 E320-15032011695.jpg   3-4 shift flare 1995 E320-15032011694_arrow.jpg  
Old 03-16-2011, 06:44 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
I'm sorry, but I'm over my head now in trying to give you advice. My knowledge of this is limited to exactly what I did for the shift flair when going from the 3rd to 4th gear. It seems you have other problems and will need more help than I can provide. Fortunately there are other members here with much more knowledge that can help you.

Note that the transmission can go on these cars. Revving in and not staying in first gear may be an indication of something more serious than my flair. I just don't know how to help you. It does look like you found the vacuum modulator, but I don't know if that is really where you should start for the problem you describe.

Maybe a new thread describing your exact symptoms will allow someone with more knowledge to chime in and help. I would also try other forums, like peachparts and benzworld. The peachparts shop forum, in particular, seems to have master mechanics that are willing and able to help many of us. Benzworld, like here, is nice with chassis specific forums.