E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1992 300ce......major problems....someone help me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300ce......major problems....someone help me

i bought this 92 300ce less than a year ago and all it has been is trouble. i dont even know if i want to buy another benz ever again. thats how bad my experience has been. in less than 9 months i had to replace the battery, air pump, all belts, 2 belt pullys, rear shocks, fan clutch, and electrical wiring for radio. right now the car still does not run good. it idles high in park and neutral and i think it has major tranny problems. when put in drive it will sometimes stay in drive and sometimes switch to neutral....than go back to drive.....than go back to neutral. rpms will usually go high when shifting and it rarely shifts smooth. i do not know if the tranny is almost gone, or i need to get a tranny flush or replace the air filter or its the linkage. can someone please help me. it seems to only do this at lower speeds and when the car is cold.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
May need a tranny fluid change.

Also you may need shifter bushing and adjustments may need to be done.

as far as the idling, do a search on idle control valve. it is possible it is that part, or could be something else.

Do some checking on www.mercedesshop.com as well.

As far as other things you have replaced, some of those seem like normal wear and tear items. belts for one, shocks, battery are all normal items and I wouldn;t be concerned with having had to replace those. the pulleys, I havent heard of them failing before, and as far as the fan clutch and air pump, those too can get worn with age.

How many miles are on the car?

I have had my car for 5 years, and apart from having to do the tranny, the car has been extremely reliable.

I only did the head, valves and timing chain because my head gasket got a small seep in it and I figured I might as well take care of it right away.

Other than that I had the ignition control module go out.

I changed my chocks myself, and I did do a rear wheel bearing, but all in all, I have not spent much. my company paid for the tranny and my dad paid for the head which was very nice of him, though he did not have too, he wanted to.

These cars if maintained will last a long time, it seems to me like the previous owner did not maintain it well, and you got stuck replacing things that was just unfortunate.

Once you get the other bugs worked out, you will love the car.

Where are you located? I would ask around for recommendations on good mechanics in your area that are going to be honest with you and not tell you you need things or take advantge of you with the repairs.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok thanks....the car has 158k. i bought it with 143k. i am selling it right now to get something for winter. i think it may be the shifter brushings. isnt it usually you will hear the gears grinding when the tranny is going. cause i dont hear any gears grinding.