E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

brand of atf?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:07 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 MB E320, 1988 Porsche 951
brand of atf?

I'm finally getting around to changing the ATF, any recomendations on the brand of ATF to use? OEM is a bit expensive, is it worth the extra cost?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
For my 95 E320 I pretty much use any fluid that meets the Dexron III spec. Those transmissions don't require any special fluid. I think you can save a lot of money by buying whatever Dexron III ATF is locally available instead of paying inflated dealer prices.

MB Approved Service Products
Old 01-31-2006, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
I agree, I went to the dealer and got a bottle of Exxon Dexron III-Mercon for 4.99 per quart, went to autozone and got the same quart for 2.99...figures!
Old 01-31-2006, 04:57 PM

1990 300E 2.6
Another possibility, Valvoline , Pennzoil, and perhaps others make a blend that is great for this transmission. Not always easy to find but can be ordered.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:02 PM

W124
I'd use castrol dex III, its good stuff. If you can't find castrol try valvoline or valvoline hi-milage. Stay away from pennzoil. If their regular oil sucks I can only imagine how their tranny fluid is like.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:46 PM

1990 300E 2.6
Not sure why you say that regular Pennzoil sucks. Pennzoil is owned by Shell and has been for several years but even when it was independent it was considered by many to be an excellent oil. Do you really think Shell would market an inferior oil when it is commonly known they own Pennzoil? I have known MANY folks who have used it exclusively in their vehicles for more than 40 years. One close friend who lives in a small, rural town sells his cars after 4-5 years to local friends. Most all of them have remained in the area and continue to use Pennzoil. ALL of his previous autos have gone between 200K - 300K, NONE having engine failure and NONE requiring tear-down. This record spans 40 years! And, all are still his friends!
It is easy to paint with a broad brush. Use any brand of oil without frequently changing the oil and filter and you will be in trouble! For the past 20+ years I have used both Pennzoil and Castrol in most of my personal cars without once having experienced an oil-related engine failure. Actually, NO engine failures for any reason!
Old 01-31-2006, 11:59 PM

W124
Pennzoil has a wax base detergent in it. It causes excessive sludge build up in engines. Have you ever noticed that "dirty" pennzoil oil appears cleaner than other brands. It's because the detergent they use doesn't collect the impurities as well as the other brands do. I've done engine take downs on both import and domestic engines that use pennzoil and all have the same wax like sludge build up. The owners, after seeing its effects, have never gone back to pennzoil again. It's just my personal eperience. If it works for you, then good for you. I'm simply giving my opinion or is that not allowed anymore?
Old 02-01-2006, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
I just changed the fluid on my E420 the other day! I used the valvoline high milage and a bottle of the Lucus trans treatment. The car has 140k on the meter . I guess I was misinformed on some posts about a drain in the tourque converter. Peeps said it had a drain! Well guess what no drain. The good news was things looked great in the tranny ! Spotless pan not a spot of dirt! Looks like good to go for another 30k!!

Smokie
Old 02-01-2006, 01:11 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Smokie, did you rotate the torque converter and look in the backside for the drain plug? Do you know your transmission number? Mine is 722.369 and it has a drain plug.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 PM

1990 300E 2.6
NorCal
Of course we are all welcome to our opinions! My post did not indicate you were not entitled to yours. We both also know how much of a hot button the topic of lubricants can be. Personally, when giving advice to someone, I make it a point not to make a blanket condemnation of products, especially when they are not inferior, but just differ from my preferences. While it may or may not still be true about the wax base in Pennzoil, as such, the product has been and is still a good lubricant, used and praised by many for decades. I would not want people who do not have any knowledge about oils thinking that they would be pouring some bottom-dredged sludge into their engine if they used Pennzoil. We all have our personal preferences but I think it is more informative and factual to give valid reasons why you like or dislike a product.
Pennzoil products of various types are on the approved list from Mercedes and it is listed as the #1 selling brand of oil in the U.S.A. - that fact may not make it the best there is but it can't be all bad either.
This link (a little dated but probably not far off from today) is interesting reading about the differences, or lack there-of, between different oils:
http://www.xs11.com/stories/croil96.htm
As others have posted, it is probably true that it really makes little difference which brand and type of oil you use as long as you change it early and often.

Last edited by oliverb; 02-01-2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Kestas! How ya doin Bud!! We pulled the only plate on the front of the trans and rotated the the fly wheel 360 and did not see any thing that looked like a plug?? Did not see any kind opening in the back of the bell housing?? But I may have to get it done again as they sent me the wrong pan gasket and we had to use the old one! I am looking outside right now and I think I have a oil spot under the car So I guess I have to get the right gasket and do the job myself!! If ya want it done right DO IT YOURSELF!! Next question u sure it got a plug and where do I look for it?? Your friend in waiting!!

Smokie
Old 02-01-2006, 09:30 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Good to chat with you Smokie. I'm quite sure the plug was at the rear of the torque converter on my car. The method I use to look for it is that I lean a mirror on the ground so I can watch the back of the torque converter for the drain plug as I rotate the engine with a socket wrench.

If you're still out of luck and can't find the drain plug, there's always the fluid exchange technique to exchange all the fluid. I can copy-and-paste it for you if it comes to that.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:08 PM

93 300SE Rauch "Smoke"
Kestas! The back of the TC did not have any openings or holes that I could see the back of the converter? But the condition of oil and lack of any sig dirt there was only one qt left in the converter according to my owners manuel. Said 9.1 qts intial fill and 8.1 for change! So I don't think it will be heavly contaminated.

Smokie
Old 02-02-2006, 12:18 AM

W124
I don't need a valid reason to say why I don't like a product. For all I care I can say that I don't like the color bottle it comes in. The guy asked and I gave my answer. I stated my beliefs and the reasons I don't like it. What this person chooses to use I could care less. I'm simply giving my opinion, not debating whether the world is flat or round. No need to get heated about it.