E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Radio stolen: car wont start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio stolen: car wont start

I am doing this for a friend. He wants to buy a 86 e300 from a guy for 450.00. The guy told him that the car will not start because the radio was stolen and that MB has a security thing that will not let it start if stereo is missing. From what my friend told me they ripped the radio out and the wires are a mess. What color wires am i looking for and how can i bypass this. I am a Ford man first then chevy. I can work on cars and very active at impalassforums.com. So with a little guidance i should be able to figure it out. I hope you guys are as good as the ones at impala ss :p I am sure you are, i need this help before say 8:30(central time) february 2. Mega thanks ahead of time and hopefully my friend will join as sonn as he gets internet. This site looks real good.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
describe the no start problem for me.

I.E. What happens? does the car turn over just wont fire?

Does it turn over and have a spark?

Does it have gas?

Does it do nothing when the key is turned?

I am not sure if the radio being removed would disable the car. the radio chassis is connected to the alarm system and it is designed with some feature in mind, whether or not it disables the starter or not I have no idea.

Under the passenger floorboard where your feet would rest is a black panel. behind that should be the alarm control module.

It may be possible just to unplug this.

Have all fuses been checked?

The ignition switch wires can be found behind the lower drivers side dash panel, slightly above the accellerator.

So the next thing to do would be to give us some information on the no start problem. the radio wiring is very basic in that car.

you have the basic wires, power, ground, acc power, antenna trigger, speker out, and then you have the alarm wire. I forget if it is black or brown or of another color.

It would be best to get a multiimeter and test the wires to eliminated the obvious ones.

Was it the original radio that was stolen? or was it an aftermarket unit? I can;t imagine anybody wanting to steal those original radios nowadays, you can pick them up for very cheap on ebay... I highly doubt they are worth much to a fence.

Alon
Old 02-02-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like i said earlier it is for my friend and i have not yet tested the car for the things you mentioned in your post. I am going to check all the obvious, fuel, spark, wires, fuses, battery and now the alarm module now that you informed me of where it is and the approx color of wires to look for. I to would imagine it to be an aftermarket radio, but i have not seen the car and not talked to the owner to find out the info you and i need to diagnose the problem. Thanks for the help as i will be going in a little while to start the troubleshooting. Thanks again.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1992 300CE AMG Hammer Replica, 2004 C240, 2015 ML350
here is al ink tot he service manuals for the cars online. his is a w124 of course..

http://mb.braingears.com/

Perhaps you can use that to help trace the wiring.

This is somewhere to start on the wires behind the radio to check and or eliminate... This was taken from audiovox's tech support site. the wiring should be accurate, but make sure to test all the wires.

WIRE COLOR POLARITY LOCATION
Battery RED/WHITE (+) RADIO HARNESS
Accesory BLACK/YELLOW (+) RADIO HARNESS
Ground BROWN (-) RADIO HARNESS
Illumination VIOLET/GRAY (+) RADIO HARNESS
Power Antenna WHITE (+) RADIO HARNESS
LF Speaker (+) YELLOW
LF Speaker (-) BLACK
RF Speaker (+) WHITE
RF Speaker (-) BLACK
LR Speaker (+) RED
LR Speaker (-) BLACK