E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

All dash lights suddenly not working??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 E320 Wagon
All dash lights suddenly not working??

Awsome 95 E320 Wagon. Just noticed all cluster, climate control, stereo, even sunroof illuminators, are not functioning when the headlights are on. All other lights such as map, cargo, and lower door lights work fine. I have a service manual on CD, looked up the fuse number but that same fuse powers about 12 other things that are ALL working properly. In fact, there is Nothing else not functioning on the car at all. Did a search on this site but didnt find much, one thread talked about a "rheostat", where is this and what does it do? Another thread talked about replacing the "Instrument cluster illumination control switch", where is this located? Can find nothing on these in my CD (probably dont know how to fully utilize it just yet). Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Triggerman
Old 02-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Almost a Member!

95 E320 Wagon
BTW, there is not a dash light dimmer switch on these cars is there? If there is, where is it located? That is almost how my problem is acting, like a dimmer switch has been turned all the way down or something.

Thanks
Triggerman
Old 02-27-2006, 02:07 PM

88 260 E
Try turning the odometer pin, that's the interior illum dial.

~cali
Old 02-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Almost a Member!

95 E320 Wagon
Are you serious!?!? I did very recently reset the trip odometer and it did not reset the first time so I fiddled with it for a few seconds. I had no idea this was the dash light dimmer! Thank you very much.

Triggerman
Old 02-27-2006, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz w124
Other fancy features are...
1. fog lamps, when the headlights are on, pull back (towards you ) on the knob, BAM! foglights!
2. Sunroof tilt, simply push up on the sunroof button and it will tilt up!
3. Maybe a feature only on newer cars, turn the key to open the car and hold it to the left, all the windows will lower!
Old 02-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Almost a Member!

400 E
might be the rheostat, mine just came undone.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:17 PM
Almost a Member!

95 E320 Wagon
Thanks for the help guys. Sure enough, it was the dimmer switch on the cluster, one twist had them back on! I actually did find the fog lights (front and REAR fog lights!) while messing with the light switch trying to get the cluster lights back on. And BTW, yes with the doors locked, you can turn the key all the way to the left and hold it and the windows will come down. I've already told my wife she better treat me right, or I'm gonna run off with a good looking German Engineer! Anybody know any...naa, I stay in enough trouble :-)

Thanks again
Triggerman
Old 06-15-2007, 10:25 PM

C280
Rear fogs?

I have only been a member of this club for a couple days and have found out more tricks and features on a car I have had for 7 years. Codes for A/c, were the instrument cluster dimmer switch is, but I don't know what the rear fogs are your talking about. I have also seen some threads on A/C black box that vacuum lines hook up to. I had a whistle and was fooling around with a box under the hood in front of the passenger side and one of the lines were broke off. Where can I find a new piece that goes into the box or do I have to replace the whole part and is this the part I need? Thanks. Big help already!
Old 06-16-2007, 09:03 AM

C280
I HAVE FOUND THE BACK FOG LAMP. pULL THE SWITCH OUT TWO CLICKS AND MY DRIVERS SIDE REAR LAMO IS BRIGHTER AND THE LIGHT ON THE SWITCH ILLUMINATES. SWEET.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by triggerman
I've already told my wife she better treat me right, or I'm gonna run off with a good looking German Engineer!
Triggerman
Before you murder the engineer, ask why they buried the evaporator, overused the vacuum system, used faulty wiring insulation, buried the cabin filters, and under-designed things so that the straight six needs a head gasket every 100K.

Last edited by ksing44; 06-17-2007 at 08:23 AM.