E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
Question Advice Needed

I am planning on changing my suspension and wheels all at once and I have no clue on what suspension i should get. i want the ride not to be too soft or too stiff, but just right . it doesnt matter if the car's height is lowered. i want the biggest and widest rims possible with the fatest lip possible w/out sacrificing much of my turning radius and w/out any risk of rubbing tires on the wheel wells. right now i have 17's and i am the only car, other than a vw bug, on my cul-de-sac that can make a u-turn w/out going down to the end of the street to make the u-turn; its nice cuz i live towards the beginning of the street.

i want to do all of this w/out having to do any major fender or wheel well modifications.

Again and like always thanks for the help and advice.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
hmm, it's gonna be tough to fit much wider wheels on your car without rolling your fenders. The stock wheels are 7 inches wide. i have 8" wide wheels, lowered on H&R springs, and I had to roll my fenders. Granted, my offset is also more aggressive than stock.

In terms of having a large lip on these cars, I'm afraid you're also out of luck there. Take your current rims off and take a look at them. You'll see the way mercedes does it's offset... There is simply no room to do much more than a 1-2" lip, and even then you might have to roll your fenders.

If you don't want to lower your car very much, but want to enhance your handling, get Eibach springs. If you want to enhance your handling and lower your car noticeably, get H&R springs. I have H&R's and I love them. They car isn't really "slammed" either- it's just right in my eyes. With both setups, get Bilstein Sport shocks. eibachs, H&R's, and bilsteins are the most common/tried and true setups for the W124. Many people on this board in particular have found success with Vogtland springs, also. i wouldn't get anything other than those 3 brands.

Do a search on the w124 forum here. This topic has probably been covered millions of times... search for "suspension" and "offset".