E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Brake pads ever expire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 W124 E220 MP 5sp Manual
Brake pads ever expire?

I have owned my '95 E220 for 4 months now. I just wonder if there is any parts due for replacement because of the car's age (10 years).

Since I am the new owner and I don't know if any parts have been replaced by previous owner, do I need to pay attention on any particular parts? I had the engine harness replaced already by MB tech. What elses?

Such as brakes, I know there is indicator for the worn brake pads but I am just curious if brake pads ever expire due to age?

Because I do feel less braking power after long downhill driving. I had the brake fluid replaced when I got the car 4 months ago. I am wondering if I need to get a new brake pads.

How about shocks and struts? I am pretty sure they are still original from 10 years ago. The ride is ok so far, but i do hear some minor sounds when it runs over bumps.

Any comments?
Old 04-30-2006, 10:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
It's not the pads, but the caliper seals and corrosion in the bore I'd worry about. One of my cars still has the original brake shoes after over 23 years and stops fine. The brake cylinders and fluid are considerably newer. Shocks and struts get replaced as needed, not by age.

If you're worried about minor sounds over bumps, have the car's suspension checked out... especially if it feels kind of loose.

I keep cars a LOOONG time. In general, when a car gets up in age, you start worrying about the seals.