E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Bandpass enclosure box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"88 300CE- First Year Production
Bandpass enclosure box

Do they sound terrible in our cars? I know they don't suit certain cars.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"88 300CE- First Year Production
I got one for $10 local on ebay but its smaller than what my subwoofer calls for. I don't have my amplifier hardware hooked up yet.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want sound quality and/or want to save space, do a sealed box (they are typically smaller than bandpass enclosures). If you want loud bass and don't care quite as much for punchy, tight bass, get a bandpass box.

Sealed enclosures also protect the woofer better, because the back-pressure doesn't allow the cone to jump out as far. If you don't come close to overpowering your sub, you won't have to worry too much about it with a bandpass box.

Regarding what fits the W124, that's a more relevant issue. Your biggest problem will be the gas tank/sealed off trunk. If you decide that you want the high-fidelity sound of a sealed enclosure, you're going to have to be very creative with your installation... or you're going to have to cut a hole in your rear deck where the first aid kit compartment is. It takes some ***** to do it, but you'll be glad you did. If you want a sealed enclosure but don't want to cut a hole, you will probably need at least two highly powered subs in your trunk, and you will want to take the rear speakers out so that some sound can make it into the cabin.

If you want to do a bandpass box, you can cut a smaller hole in your rear dash and make it so that your tuned port connects up to that hole. If you want a bandpass box but don't want to cut a hole, you will also want at least one high-powered sub and you'll want to take out your rear speakers.

One thing to be conscious of is if you don't cut a hole in the back, and just put a box in your trunk, your bass will cause your rear speaker cones to move due to the pressure that the bass will create... Aside from the small holes that are in your rear dash, your rear speakers will be the softest surface in the trunk... so they will be affected by the pressure.

This can cause your rear speakers to lose accuracy, and if you have enough bass, it could cause your rear speakers to blow.

My advice is to either cut a hole (whether it's for a port from a bandpass box or for a full-sized hole for your sealed speaker), or don't get a sub. That's just me though. Some people don't mind the muffled-sounding bass that comes from an enclosure just sitting in the trunk... those people usually just want loud, rumbling bass. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just not my preference. If that's what you want, put a bandpass box in your trunk with at least 1,000 watts RMS power and you'll be happy.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 260 E
Good advise Pete,

You can avoid the subs interferring withy our rear deck speakers by just adding baffles to the rear deck speakers.

~Cali