E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Are ball joints DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dora the Explorer
Are ball joints DIY?

Do the ball joints need to be pressed in using special tools, or is it a DIY replacement?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"88 300CE- First Year Production
What you need to do is remove your control arms, and then the old bjoints must be pressed out and the new joints be pressed in. An alignment will need to be done afterwards. Dropped the control arms off at a shop which will be around $20 for both sides.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
sorry to revive this one, but after a few places gave me the old "that's like bringing your own eggs to a diner" routine, I finally got a quote on doing the R&R on the ball joints if I bring my own parts - $150!!!!!!!!!!!! He said it's like two hours of labor, even with the parts out of the vehicle.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Anybody know of an honest shop in Houston that will do this job for less than $50?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
I bought some ball joints recently with my new tierods, but ****, those things are in there like a ****. They do need to be pressed out. I gave up, but found that mine were ok as they were... i'll just save the new ones until later.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:16 PM

It changes all the time
Originally Posted by mgw_300e
sorry to revive this one, but after a few places gave me the old "that's like bringing your own eggs to a diner" routine, I finally got a quote on doing the R&R on the ball joints if I bring my own parts - $150!!!!!!!!!!!! He said it's like two hours of labor, even with the parts out of the vehicle.

WTF?!?!?!?!?!

Anybody know of an honest shop in Houston that will do this job for less than $50?
I'm guessing you work for minimum wage, because that is the going price for unskilled labor. You're asking a professional shop with the skills and equipment needed to do the job to work for minimum wage. I woudn't take my feet off my desk for what you want to pay.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
With the arms out of the car and the correct tool, these literally take 15 minutes. You were correct to gasp at that quote. I believe most parts stores rent the remover/installer. It's just a large c-clamp type press and nothing fancy. I did them on the car with a jack stand under the arm many times and yes it was dangerous. I could do both sides in under 1.5 hours, so if you have a spring compressor, you should tackle the job yourself. If you had walked into the shop when I was working, I would gladly take your fifty bucks for 1/2 hour of work.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by hineywineries
I'm guessing you work for minimum wage, because that is the going price for unskilled labor. You're asking a professional shop with the skills and equipment needed to do the job to work for minimum wage. I woudn't take my feet off my desk for what you want to pay.
He runs his own Chiro gig, he's a Doctor.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by bicylindrico
With the arms out of the car and the correct tool, these literally take 15 minutes. You were correct to gasp at that quote. I believe most parts stores rent the remover/installer. It's just a large c-clamp type press and nothing fancy. I did them on the car with a jack stand under the arm many times and yes it was dangerous. I could do both sides in under 1.5 hours, so if you have a spring compressor, you should tackle the job yourself. If you had walked into the shop when I was working, I would gladly take your fifty bucks for 1/2 hour of work.
Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinking. I actually found someone locally that is going to trade this job for some massage gift certificates to one of my clinics, so, my actual cost = $0!!!!

Originally Posted by hineywineries
Those with ghey screen names should not flame people they don't know.
I don't know where you work, but are they hiring? I want to make $50 for taking my feet off of a desk!!! Besides, working at McDonalds is really getting old - fkn minimum wage paying *******s!

But seriously, although I can appreciate the "double whammy" of how you called me cheap and minimum wage all in the same sentence, at least be funny if you're going to flame me. I can appreciate pwnage when it's funny.

I think that bicylindricos comments pretty much reflect my perception of the value of the work I need, so I don't think it's too ridiculous to think that $50 is more than enough for 15 minutes worth of work. And regardless of whether or not I make $7/hr. or $700/hr, it's stupid to pay too much for anything. For $159 I could have bought a control arm with a ball joint and bushings on it, so $150 to press in the new ball joints is a little much IMHO.

I don't want to have some kind of issue with you, so let's agree to only insult each other further if we get to know each other better first. At least then it's funny.

Hey Henry - thanks for having my back, bro!
Old 04-19-2007, 09:33 PM

I'm really having a tough time as right now I'm doing ball joints on my 4-wheel drive, upper and lower. (no control arm) 4-wheel told me $600 to start, and you see what rode I took. so happy the explorer is domestic (alot cheaper to work with)
Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 PM

Like I said b4 napa did mine for $40 when I handed them my control arms, but bad news to my fender when the ball joint broke on my when I was driving
Old 04-19-2007, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by Makahveli
Like I said b4 napa did mine for $40 when I handed them my control arms, but bad news to my fender when the ball joint broke on my when I was driving
a monkey with a sledge hammer > napa
Old 04-19-2007, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
hahaha, I actually tried that on mine, but they wouldn 't budge so I left em. Don't get mad at me, that is the first time I have ever taken a large heavy object to my baby....

NAPA only sells parts here, you guys have service centers huh?

Guess what, it is my B'day. I can now rent cars. I am so old.
Old 04-19-2007, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel

Hey Henry - thanks for having my back, bro![/QUOTE]

These asians take the internet seriously, damn. Atleast they are happy.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
NAPA only sells parts here, you guys have service centers huh?

Guess what, it is my B'day. I can now rent cars. I am so old.
Napa doesn't do service in Texas, either, but the way I see it is napa = pep boys = *****.