E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

hanging a door

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 07:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
86 W124
hanging a door

Hey,

How hard is it to hang a new driver door. I got run into and its a big dent and mangled a lot. I found one of the same color. How hard is it to align it as to get the mercedes door slam feel back.

Would the dealer be able to align it if I did the change over.

THanks,
Pete
Old 07-26-2006, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 300CE Sportline
call a body shop

A body shop should be able to hang the door for whatever the shop manual estimates. Call around and get some estimates, understanding that the time may change if any pulling issues need to be considered. Lucky that you found the same color.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL500, 02 BMW Z3 (Mrs. VF), 05 FJR1300, 91 ZX-11
It's easy.

If you are a reasonably skilled do it your selfer it is easy. Best results are achieved with a floor jack and someone else to help. Use a marker to mark the original hinge positions before you remove the door. Also try to get the hinges with the replacement door, preferrably not removed or un bolted.

I'd start by bolting the new door in the same position as the original then adjust from there. Adjust for up and down at the forward edge first then adjust the in/out at the forward edge. Use a straight edge across the fender/door gap to check the alignment.

Then mark the position of the door latch and give the door a test close. you may want to place shop rags around the jam to guard against scrapes. Close the door carefully while looking all around for rubbing. Adjust the latch in/out and up/down to get the aft edge of the door flush with the body, check with a straightedge.

If the aft edge of the door doesn't match in the up/down direction, you will need to shim under the hinges on the door jam, though this usually isn't a problem.

With the way modern cars are built, hanging a replacement door from another car is pretty easy.

I'd also check the hinge pins for slop and replace before hanging the door if necessary.