E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Is this a joke?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2006 | 11:52 PM

Is this a joke?

Alright. So some of you might know that for some reason, my front right wheel is closer to the door than the left one...

Took the car for the repair on Saturday and replaced the tie roads, the control arms and the lot (of course with the bushings and ball joints)...

The bill was a bit steep but I went with it... Hoping to say goodbye to the rub to the lower part of my front right fender..

BUT! This didn't fix it.

My car had been crashed before but it shouldn't have affected the chassis whatsoever. Upon inspection by the mechanics, they couldn't see any trace of damage to the chassis as well..

Now, they are suggesting that I might have gotten a replacement fender after the crash and this accordingly isn't really the right size when compared to the original one.

Is this at all probable or are they -ing me?

Please advise. Really confused.

Jeff
Old 07-31-2006 | 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
One way to know if the fenders are different sizes would be to measure them both in a bunch of different places and compare the numbers from one side to the other.
Old 07-31-2006 | 03:32 AM

This is what I thought of doing too...
But the garage has told me to bring the car back for further inspection...
So be it then.

But I just don't believe that a fender that looks exactly the same can be off? Afterall, replacements parts should be at least the same shape as the originals... ?
Old 07-31-2006 | 05:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

theres a difference between OE and OEM quality replacements, and cheap asian replacements.

i loaned my car to my cousin when she was doing her internship. she crashed it. we repaired it. but i can tell that the parts were not OE. just by looking. my first clue was seeing the hood fluttering at highway speeds that were not outrageous.
the grill is ever so slightly crooked. but if you look at it from the top its mounted perfectly. at the bottom, it rises slightly on one side.
the clips that hold the radiator have a tendency to slide up.
the alignment of the panel under the headlight is off slightly.
and so on.

as someone who has looked at these cars at close quarters for a long time, i see. but it took the hood fluttering for me to see.
Old 07-31-2006 | 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by neanderthal
theres a difference between OE and OEM quality replacements, and cheap asian replacements.

i loaned my car to my cousin when she was doing her internship. she crashed it. we repaired it. but i can tell that the parts were not OE. just by looking. my first clue was seeing the hood fluttering at highway speeds that were not outrageous.
the grill is ever so slightly crooked. but if you look at it from the top its mounted perfectly. at the bottom, it rises slightly on one side.
the clips that hold the radiator have a tendency to slide up.
the alignment of the panel under the headlight is off slightly.
and so on.

as someone who has looked at these cars at close quarters for a long time, i see. but it took the hood fluttering for me to see.
I see what you mean mate. I guess all that I can do now is to take a bunch of measurements of the fenders and see if they differ..

However, apart from the fender, is there any other reason that my right wheel would be rubbing the lower portion of my fender and not the left?

Cheers.
Old 07-31-2006 | 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
My first guess would be a bent control arm. Especially if the car has been in an accident.
Old 08-01-2006 | 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by mgw_300e
My first guess would be a bent control arm. Especially if the car has been in an accident.
Mate, I've just changed that along with tie rods!
Old 08-01-2006 | 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by jeffreyli86
Mate, I've just changed that along with tie rods!
Sorry, I just re-read your first post. I guess you did already say that

I hope someone can figure this out, because I have the same problem and I just looked at my control arm and it doesn't look bent either.
Old 08-02-2006 | 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by mgw_300e
Sorry, I just re-read your first post. I guess you did already say that

I hope someone can figure this out, because I have the same problem and I just looked at my control arm and it doesn't look bent either.
At least we're on the same boat mate!

I've brought the car back to my mechanic for further investigation. Will get the car back (fixed or not) by Friday. Will sure keep you updated..

Just 1 thing, is your right wheel rubbing the lower portion of the fender as well?

Cheers
Old 08-03-2006 | 02:26 AM

08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
The distance between the wheel and the fender can be slightly different. When the alignment gets adjusted, they adjust caster, camber, and toe-in. One of them, I don't remember if it is the caster or the camber, is the angle of the strut in relations to the firewall (in very simple terms). So, one wheel can be adjusted in a way that it will be positioned a little further to the front then the other one. Check the alignment. It it is right, don't worry about it.
Old 08-05-2006 | 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by jeffreyli86
Just 1 thing, is your right wheel rubbing the lower portion of the fender as well?
Not all the time, but mainly during left turns if I have more than 1 passenger
Old 08-06-2006 | 06:49 AM

OK guys.
Got my car back from my mech. He told me that my car had been in an accident before (of which I knew) and this has bent the flange which the control arm bolts onto very slightly...

The flange has now been pulled back out and the car is fine.

Hope the update helps
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Did they have to use one of those unibody repair machines, or did they just muscle it back?

I'm going to have to check mine out.
Old 08-07-2006 | 10:04 PM

Hello,
They didn't just muscle it back. They used this "thing" which pulled it and made sure it is the same as the other side..