E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Anyone know the exact location of starter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is a German Tank
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
The ****s broken, and its going to run me about 2k to fix it so screw that. I want to drop some weight by removing all my useless AC stuff and get a new belt that way I can get whatever HP is lost into my non-functional AC assembly.
ummm...I dont think you're gonna gain any HP Saij, but you'll def lose weight therefore you'll make the car a TEENIE TINY bit lighter...therefore maybe even a bit faster
Old 08-28-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
The ****s broken, and its going to run me about 2k to fix it so screw that. I want to drop some weight by removing all my useless AC stuff and get a new belt that way I can get whatever HP is lost into my non-functional AC assembly.
You could get the non-ac serp belt or get an underdrive pulley. However, when the ac compressor is not compressing, the pulley just spins, so the only drag on the system would be from the bearings in the ac pulley. If that's even robbing you of 1-2 hp I'd be surprised. Seems like a lot of work for such small gains.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Isnt the whole AC assembly really heavy? And plus, you lose HP because of the friction of the belt having to power the AC fans and whatnot. Or thats my understanding atleast. How about a more powerful alternator? I would need one for all the **** I want to do I think. Where would I get one?
in regards to the AC, it doesnt work right now so I mean.. I might as well get rid of it right?
Old 08-28-2006, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Isnt the whole AC assembly really heavy? And plus, you lose HP because of the friction of the belt having to power the AC fans and whatnot. Or thats my understanding atleast. How about a more powerful alternator? I would need one for all the **** I want to do I think. Where would I get one?
in regards to the AC, it doesnt work right now so I mean.. I might as well get rid of it right?
dropping 20# or so off your car is something you should worry about once you've done everything else to gain hp, like intake, exhaust, chip, cam, reduce unsprung weight, etc.
I'd leave it in because someday you'll have the money to fix it.