E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Sunroof trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E420 & 87 300E 218 K 97 528i 86 528e
Question Sunroof trouble

Hi I back and after fixing the power steering leak and getting the airconditioning to work I am onto a new project. the sunroof. I took off the interior piece and noted that my cable was 1. off track and 2.all twisted and bent up. so can I replace the cable without removing the headliner ? Cause that is too much for me. I am a backyard mechanic meaning i can turn a wrench but I leave the tricky stuff for the guys that are trained. So if anyone has any sugestions I would appreciate it. What it does now is will only open after I manually start it same it won't close all the way,it won't popup infact it doesnot even goflush with the roof.So I was thinking maybe switching out the cable.Thanks in advance you guys rock
Old 09-04-2006, 11:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 Mercedes 400E
Do you have the Mercedes CD? It shows you how to replace the cable.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:34 AM

Mercedes Benz 300E, 1991
ummmm what CD?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:48 AM

a TVR Cerbera Speed Twelve
Originally Posted by Falconeer
ummmm what CD?
http://mb.braingears.com/124_DISC2/P...semblyjobs.htm
Old 09-05-2006, 11:45 AM

'95 3.2 M104
Thumbs up

Removal

1 Unclip sun roof headlining at front with sun roof 3/4 open (4 clips).
2 Completely open sun roof.
3 Pull out sun roof headlining in forward, upward direction.
4 Check upper halves of clips on sun roof headlining.
5 Check lower halves of clips on sun roof.

Installation

6 Close sun roof and set both sliding parts horizontally.
7 Completely open sun roof.

8 Slip in sun roof headlining from front top until clips are abutting against sun roof, at the same time introducing tube into protective tube on sun roof headlining.
9 Close sun roof by half and fasten sun roof headlining at front audibly with clips (4 clips).

10 Close sun roof, lift approximately halfway at the rear and, in this position, check whether the lateral visors can be perfectly moved in and out.
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof trouble-1.jpg   Sunroof trouble-2.jpg   Sunroof trouble-3.jpg  
Old 09-05-2006, 11:51 AM

'95 3.2 M104
Thumbs up Removal/Installation Procedure

Removal:

1 Remove tilting/sliding sun roof headlining.
2 Unscrew guide plate on sliding carrier and disengage.
3 Push actuating switch to "Lift roof" and let control cable run out of gear unit.
4 Pull out control cable in forward direction.

NOTE: If the control cable cannot be moved with electric drive, use emergency crank.

5 If the control cable cannot be pulled out, disassemble gear unit of electric drive See: Sunroof Motor\Service and Repair
6 If upon disassembly of gear unit the control cable can still not be removed, it has been distorted in the tube, which should then be removed See: Sunroof Cable Housing\Service and Repair

Installation :

7 Coat coil at end of new control cable with MB lubricating paste, part no. 001 989 14 51, and introduce into tube.

NOTE: When installing control cable, make sure that the guide member on control cable slides into opening of tube.

8 It should be possible to pull the control cable out with a force of max. 80 N. Checkup with a spring scale.
9 Slip control cable completely into tube, push actuating switch to "Lower roof" and let cable control run into gear unit until the bores of guide plate and sliding carrier are overlapping.

NOTE: If the cable control does not enter the gear unit, loosen fastening screws on holder of drive unit.

Screw guide plate to sliding carrier.
11 Install sun roof headlining.
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof trouble-1.jpg   Sunroof trouble-2.jpg   Sunroof trouble-3.jpg   Sunroof trouble-4.jpg   Sunroof trouble-5.jpg  

Old 09-05-2006, 12:01 PM

'95 3.2 M104
Adjustments

1 Make centering bolt (if not available).

2 Remove trim on rear fender inside left.
3 Push actuating switch to "Lift roof" until the sun roof top panel is completely lifted.

4 Make adjusting knob into adjusting position (pull out up to stop and push in for approx. 3 mm ).

5 Turn adjusting knob until the centering pin can be completely plugged into centering bore and the notch on knob points in direction of bore.

6 Push adjusting knob and remove centering pin.

CAUTION: With centering bolt plugged in or adjusting knob pulled, do not operate sun roof motor, since otherwise the control unit may be damaged or the setting may be maladjusted.

7 It the sun roof does not close accurately with this basic adjustment, move adjusting knob again into adjusting position and perform precision adjustment by turning knob:

Turn knob clockwise = sun roof forward
Turn knob counterclockwise = sun roof backward

Reference values: One turn of knob changes location of sun roof by approx. 45 mm.

8 Push adjusting knob and actuate sun roof switch.
9 Mount trim on rear fender inside left.
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof trouble-1.jpg   Sunroof trouble-2.jpg   Sunroof trouble-3.jpg   Sunroof trouble-4.jpg   Sunroof trouble-5.jpg  

Old 09-16-2006, 07:48 PM

1995 E420 & 87 300E 218 K 97 528i 86 528e
Sunroof fixed

Thanks folks for all your help. I replaced the cable $80.00 from the stealership and hours of work but it is good as new. Next project the 300ce springs. Thanks again