E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Fan went tonight, need help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 AMG, 2013 Dodge Dart Turbo 6spd
Fan went tonight, need help.

Well i was driving around tonight out for a little cruise, and noticed that when i would come to a stop, that the engine temperature would rise and stay there till i sped up and had some cooler air comming in, so i stopped by a buddy's house, he knows a little bit about the 124's and about car's/mechanics of cars in general. He asked me to start the engine and then he tried to see if it might be the fan at the front of the engine (the clutch i think he said) that was to blame, and it seems to be... You can stop it from rotating just by holding your hand down there (cause it's not spinning that quickly at all). We also noticed that the fan in front of the rad will not even come on, not sure if this is for the a/c or not (a/c isn't working at all anyways and wasn't when I picked the car up). Can anyone shed any light on the situation? Could the fan(s) be the culprit? If so how easy is it to fix? Thanks for putting up with all the n00b questions i've been posting up guys.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

do a search on this. its been wrung out to death.

unless your temps are going over the red line, you really dont have anything to worry about.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:30 AM

1996 C36 AMG, 2013 Dodge Dart Turbo 6spd
ah ok, sorry about that, just really panic'd about it since i am worried about the car.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
86 W124
you need a fan clutch, in 90 degree weather slow traffic your car will boil over QUICK. The outside fan comes on at a 105C and then lowers to temps to about 95C. The 3 prong switch on your engine is what controls it along with other attributes such as the AC. Get a new fan clutch.

Next time you flush your coolant, its a good idea to change all 4 switches on top of the engine that are controlled by coolant temp since those get crud on them with age and become off or unfunctional.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:51 PM

ptoro01 is right...you just need to have a fan clutch replacement.. mercedes fan clutch are cooling systems that is important in keeping its engine from overheating.. major parts of the cooling system are the radiator, water pump, radiator fan, fan shroud, fan clutch, hoses, all working together through the coolant. better have durable fan clutch for your auto...