E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

autobox woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
autobox woes

Hi All,

I have just bought my first Merc, a W124 300TD estate ( I beleive you call them wagons in the US ) The car is in good order and wears its 195000 miles well. I have done a few odd jobs around the car to bring it up to spec, it had been stood still for ten months. So I fixed the windows the heater the reverse lights and various other jobs some nice, sort the radio to play my ipod and some nasty, new brake pipes !
However I have a problem with the auto gearbox and I'm hoping you good folk out there on the www may be able to help. I have changed the fluid and filter in the gearbox. It changes smoothly from first to second and from third to fourth, the problem is the change from second to third, the only way I can describe it is like clutch slip, the engine speed rises by 1000rpm before dropping back down again as third gear engages. I can drive round this problem by backing off the throttle early at 2750rpm and provoking an early change. Dose this sound familiar to anyone? Have I bought a lemon? I am fairly adept technically but more towards motorcycles that don't generally have automatic gearboxes.

thanks in anticipation.

Keith
Old 10-06-2006, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by laverdakeith
Hi All,

I have just bought my first Merc, a W124 300TD estate ( I beleive you call them wagons in the US ) The car is in good order and wears its 195000 miles well. I have done a few odd jobs around the car to bring it up to spec, it had been stood still for ten months. So I fixed the windows the heater the reverse lights and various other jobs some nice, sort the radio to play my ipod and some nasty, new brake pipes !
However I have a problem with the auto gearbox and I'm hoping you good folk out there on the www may be able to help. I have changed the fluid and filter in the gearbox. It changes smoothly from first to second and from third to fourth, the problem is the change from second to third, the only way I can describe it is like clutch slip, the engine speed rises by 1000rpm before dropping back down again as third gear engages. I can drive round this problem by backing off the throttle early at 2750rpm and provoking an early change. Dose this sound familiar to anyone? Have I bought a lemon? I am fairly adept technically but more towards motorcycles that don't generally have automatic gearboxes.

thanks in anticipation.

Keith
Hey Keith, welcome to our forums.

Well the W124 autobox is not very troublesome until you reacha certain amount of miles, thats when the bugs start kicking in.

I would strongly advice you to have your autobox filter + Fluid replaced immediately.

My tranny has sort of similar symptoms but its not the tranny itself but rather the flex disks...
Old 10-06-2006, 05:13 PM

1985 W124 200D
sniff sniff, i smell fresh meat...
Old 10-09-2006, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by mouramen
sniff sniff, i smell fresh meat...
LOL
Old 10-10-2006, 01:35 PM

well, thats a great help. Thanks guys

Keith
Old 10-10-2006, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Originally Posted by shadowgriffen
Hey Keith, welcome to our forums.

I would strongly advice you to have your autobox filter + Fluid replaced immediately.

ummmmmm....let me just RE-POST his original post....

Originally Posted by laverdakeith
Hi All,

However I have a problem with the auto gearbox and I'm hoping you good folk out there on the www may be able to help.
I have changed the fluid and filter in the gearbox. It changes smoothly from first to second and from third to fourth, the problem is the change from second to third, the only way I can describe it is like clutch slip, the engine speed rises by 1000rpm before dropping back down again as third gear engages. I can drive round this problem by backing off the throttle early at 2750rpm and provoking an early change. Dose this sound familiar to anyone? Have I bought a lemon? I am fairly adept technically but more towards motorcycles that don't generally have automatic gearboxes.
reading posts helps lol

Keith, you may want to post this at mercedesshop.com....there are more qualified people on there that will be able to help you instead of just mock you.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
ummmmmm....let me just RE-POST his original post....

reading posts helps lol

Keith, you may want to post this at mercedesshop.com....there are more qualified people on there that will be able to help you instead of just mock you.
I have a really bad habit of doing that, seriously I always get becuse of this.

thats twice today
Old 10-10-2006, 03:44 PM

1991 300E
tranny

Laverda, I know what you are describing. All I can say is that a new tranny is probably in your future. My car would do what you are describing sometimes, mostly on down shifts, but not always, especially when trying to accelerate up a hill. It didn't really bother me and as long as I didn't floor the gas it wouldn't really happen that often. About nine months later my reverse quit working and I had to get a new transmission. When cold, these cars will always shift at a higher RPM than normal to help the engine warm up quicker. If you're only having this issue when the engine is cold, then you're probably o.k.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:51 PM

1996 C36 AMG, 2013 Dodge Dart Turbo 6spd
I have the exact same problem, my buddy works as a MB tech at a dealership out here, he said it could be an issue with the Valve that determines shift quality, since it runs off of vacum, it may have a leak... there is a DIY on mercedes shop, let me find the link one sec
Old 10-10-2006, 03:58 PM

Here is the article i was talking about. Hope that helps? http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/TransVacTune
Old 10-10-2006, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
join the bad tranny club!

The mechanics I have spoken to say that these trannies typically go 200,000-220,000 miles before needing a replacement or rebuild. So you're right about in that range.

I wouldn't call your car a lemon at all. It's a man-made, mechanical device that eventually will wear and break down. I'd say 200k miles was a pretty good life span for your transmission.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

95 E320 Wagon
Your trans is due for a rebuild, a replacement is not necessary. The clutches are worn out from use. Mine were shot at 186,000 and this is also when my reverse quit working. Simple rebuild has it feeling like new.
Old 10-11-2006, 02:22 PM

does anyone know of a place that I could have mine done here in canada (anyone from ontario?) I saw someone took theirs to an AAMCO, we have one in my city, is that a good place? Or do i have to have the tranny sent to the states somewhere.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:22 AM

Big thankyou Mr Hound, this is the sort of positive info I was looking for. I will get stuck into the job over the next few days and let you know my progress.

fresh meat indeed.......sheesh.

Keith : )
Old 10-12-2006, 01:56 PM

Same problem

My 1990 300TE has the same problem with shifts from 2-3 and 3-4. ie. engine rpm rises about 1000 rpm with the shift that is very slow, worse with the more accelerator. But since it is not a diesel I would guess it is not a vacuum problem and probably needs a rebuild?