E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Muffler in Montreal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
BMW 340i xDrive 2018 MMPSK silver , Cadillac XT5 2018 silver, 09 R320 BT
Muffler in Montreal

Hello Everyone,

My 1990 300E is in need of a new muffler. The last time it was changed, was July 19/02. That's the day my son was born, I was driving home to shave and shower, and to return to my wife's and son's bed-side at the hospital, but the muffler broke off and I had to drag the car to the only shop who was opened on a Saturday, hence he clipped me ($500+).

Wondering if anyone knows of a good shop in the Montreal area who will install me a decent product at a decent price. I noticed that the muffler is starting to give, and I want to fix it prior to falling off. It's now my wife's car.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-09-2006, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Range Rover Classic
Did you go with an OEM muffler? It should have lasted more than four years
Old 10-09-2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Eliot
Did you go with an OEM muffler? It should have lasted more than four years
Think it was, only problem is that we have very heavy winters with plenty of road salt. Btw, you have a BEAUTIFUL state! I was in Virginia Beach August of 2005, and was really impressed with the cleanliness of your state.

Cheers
Old 10-09-2006, 11:47 PM

Range Rover Classic
Originally Posted by taranch
Think it was, only problem is that we have very heavy winters with plenty of road salt.
I've spent my time in New England so I can apreciate that. My brother treated the underbody of his Rover with Waxoyl (serves as a barrier to rust). For the muffler there are stainless steel and titanium options, quite expensive though.

Btw, you have a BEAUTIFUL state! I was in Virginia Beach August of 2005, and was really impressed with the cleanliness of your state.
It can be a really lovely place Be it the tidewater, the bay, the ocean or back into the interior. The Shenadoah is such a lovely area to drive through. So many winding roads cutting up and down the decaying mountains. If you ever pass near Charlottesville, stop, and explore for a few hours. Monticello is fantastic.

Montreal is very much on my todo list
Old 10-10-2006, 03:52 PM

1991 300E
muffler fix

If you have access to a reciprocating saw and some jacks, you can save yourself some money. I had a 1991 300E that needed a new muffler to pass inspection. I bought the muffler online for I think about $200 and had it shipped to me. I cut off the old one with the saw, stuck the new one on and attached with the clamp. That was actually the quickest repair I think I've ever made on a car. I think it took me literally 5 minutes from the time I crawled under the car until I cranked it up and drove off the jacks. You might have to shape the old pipe a little to get it to fit inside the throat of the new muffler but if you have a saw, a mallet and some jacks you can do this job yourself.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eliot
I've spent my time in New England so I can apreciate that. My brother treated the underbody of his Rover with Waxoyl (serves as a barrier to rust). For the muffler there are stainless steel and titanium options, quite expensive though.

It can be a really lovely place Be it the tidewater, the bay, the ocean or back into the interior. The Shenadoah is such a lovely area to drive through. So many winding roads cutting up and down the decaying mountains. If you ever pass near Charlottesville, stop, and explore for a few hours. Monticello is fantastic.

Montreal is very much on my todo list
Montreal is a GREAT city! Plenty of things to see and do. It's a very safe city as well. However, the winters are extremely long and the closest salt water beach is about 5 hours by car. So, if you like the surf, this isn't the city to be in.

I didn't have a chance to really explore due to the fact my wife was 7 months pregnant, and my son was a feisty 3 year old at the time. I wanted to get away, but my wife couldn't fly in her condition. So, we decided on a road trip and really had a GREAT time! This summer we went to Greece which was a totally different type of adventure. Our son was 4 and our daughter was 10 months old. It was fun but a lot of work.

I was really enamored with Virginia, that I suggested to one of my partners to take his family there for their holiday, and they came back with a lot of praise for the place. Safe, family friendly and great weather. We're actually thinking of rounding up the families next year and heading down again to VB.

Btw, my partner drove down with his R350. He told me that people were stopping and asking him what it was. They were really surprised that it was a Benz. It's funny, cause it's built in Alabama.

Take care
Old 10-10-2006, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

anyone know the part number for the center muffler/ reasonator delete? basically just straight pipes from the cat all the way to the rear muffler.

im sick of the ricer sound
Old 10-10-2006, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by mhorn
If you have access to a reciprocating saw and some jacks, you can save yourself some money. I had a 1991 300E that needed a new muffler to pass inspection. I bought the muffler online for I think about $200 and had it shipped to me. I cut off the old one with the saw, stuck the new one on and attached with the clamp. That was actually the quickest repair I think I've ever made on a car. I think it took me literally 5 minutes from the time I crawled under the car until I cranked it up and drove off the jacks. You might have to shape the old pipe a little to get it to fit inside the throat of the new muffler but if you have a saw, a mallet and some jacks you can do this job yourself.
Hey Mhorn,

I'm not the hands-on kind of guy. But, heh, thanks for your input

Take care
Old 10-11-2006, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
260E , 1989 (for now)
Taranch:

The best place to buy parts for your Benz around Mtl is through this place:
Euro Parts Etc.
51, 213 avenue
St-Hippolyte, Qc
1-866-944-7278.

The best place to have our Benz fixed around Montreal is
Garage RRP.
in St. Luc (South shore)
Tel: (450) 348-1333
Very competent (has worked on Benz for decades) and very reasonnable on prices.
Tell Rolland (the owned) the guy with the green 260E sends you.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jackd
Taranch:

The best place to buy parts for your Benz around Mtl is through this place:
Euro Parts Etc.
51, 213 avenue
St-Hippolyte, Qc
1-866-944-7278.

The best place to have our Benz fixed around Montreal is
Garage RRP.
in St. Luc (South shore)
Tel: (450) 348-1333
Very competent (has worked on Benz for decades) and very reasonnable on prices.
Tell Rolland (the owned) the guy with the green 260E sends you.
Hey Jack,

Thanks for your reply. I got it fixed at European Motorwerks On Jean-Talon close to Cote des Neiges. He's a good guy, and it was an emergency since the rear exhaust broke off on Thursday, while my wife was picking up my son from day-care, and it also damaged the plastic under the rear bumber. The guy's name is Hassan, and he's well known for his repairs and mods on exotics (Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Rolls, etc). He told me the OEM was cheaper than a jobber ($325 CDN) He charged me $100 to install it and to install the winter tires. Total tax in, $511. This freakin car has cost me more in repairs than the original purchase price 6 years ago. But, the wife and I both love the comfort of this car.

When it comes to the South-Shore, I am really lost. I live in Laval, and rarely do I venture to the South-Shore, safe when I am visiting a client.

Take care