E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Gas door stuck! help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas door stuck! help!

The gas door on my '95 E320 is stuck. I can lock and unlock the car but the gas door does not open. I'm almost out of gas, please help! Worst case tonight I'm going to take a crown bar to it and break it off. Also I sprayed it with PBBlaster last night. help!
Old 11-06-2006, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by Moe617
The gas door on my '95 E320 is stuck. I can lock and unlock the car but the gas door does not open. I'm almost out of gas, please help! Worst case tonight I'm going to take a crown bar to it and break it off. Also I sprayed it with PBBlaster last night. help!
hmmmm, I really have no clue as to why your door would be stuck.

Have you tried unlocking your car through the trunk????
Old 11-06-2006, 02:44 PM

gas door stuck

haven't tried unlocking the trunk yet. Will do that tonight. Maybe it has something to do with the cold. It gets to 30 degrees at night in Boston these days. Also all my doors open fine including the trunk, it's just the gas door that's being a pain. Lastly when I unlock I can hear the gas lock doing something.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:56 PM
X03

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB 1990 300E
i have no idea, just start banging on it and hopefully it will pop back in to unlock
Old 11-06-2006, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Is it staying locked, or is the door physically stuck?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
haven't tried unlocking the trunk yet. Will do that tonight. Maybe it has something to do with the cold. It gets to 30 degrees at night in Boston these days. Also all my doors open fine including the trunk, it's just the gas door that's being a pain. Lastly when I unlock I can hear the gas lock doing something.
I know this, I'm also in Boston.

Try locking your car via trunk, wait a few seconds, then unlock again via trunk.

should help.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:12 PM

gas door stuck

The door is physically stuck, seems like the lock isn't totally unlocking. I'l try unlocking the car from the trunk. I called the dealership to ask if they knew something and this guy told me that there is a release in the trunk near the gas tank that should open the lid. Will try that tonight as well. Didn't know of this release in the trunk.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Me either, but thanks. My locks do weird things also. I can only lock my trunk from the truck, otherwise it wont lock fully. I think the vacuum seal is messed up somewhere.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:05 PM

Do not take a crowbar to your gas door thats just stupid and expensive to fix. Open your trunk and take out the liner in the passenger side corner behind the back seat. About 5 inches behind your gas door you will see the locking mechanism. There is a a pin that has a round red head(red on my ce) either way its about the size of a silver dollar, just pull it twoards you and the fuel door will be open. It is prob nothing more than a vaccum problem.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
Originally Posted by mrbenzzamg
Open your trunk and take out the liner in the passenger side corner behind the back seat. About 5 inches behind your gas door you will see the locking mechanism. There is a a pin that has a round red head(red on my ce) either way its about the size of a silver dollar, just pull it twoards you and the fuel door will be open. It is prob nothing more than a vaccum problem.
This is the correct method, they put it there just for that reason. Mine has never stuck, but it was noisy and dragging. After you get it open, I would clean the pin and put a good silicone lube on it to keep it working smoothly. Since I did mine, it is now functioning perfectly. There are a lot of vacuum lines in there for the locks and gas door. Check all the ones you can find. I had the gas door vacuum line knocked loose when accessing the amplifier back there. The doors wouldn't lock all the way and you could hear the vacuum pump running constantly. Took about an hour to find.