E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

What's your say on AMG Decals ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300E
What's your say on AMG Decals ?

I just bought these 2 AMG Decals for my interior, and I find out that I can also put them outside on my body and they would last quite a while, and I'm very tempted to do so.
My car is dark and the decals are Silver, should look sickkk !!

No my car is not an AMG, If I had the W124 Hammer...I probably wouldn't be here writing this right now !! I'd be smoking the Bimmer kids and showing them what we are all about !! LoL

So yeah just wondering what you fine gentlemen think about it.

Cool?
Uncool?
Ghey?
Unethical?
Do what you want, its your car?
DONT DO IT ?

Feel free to add your own comment !!

Feedback much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails What's your say on AMG Decals ?-amg-decal.jpg   What's your say on AMG Decals ?-amg-decal-2.jpg  
Old 12-13-2006, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
is your car modded like either of those 2 190E EVO's? If the answer is no, then the mod will look ghey. Period. End of discussion.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:35 AM

Range Rover Classic
Back in the day.... AMG permitted the use of their logo only when you made at least three modifications to your car.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by Eliot
Back in the day.... AMG permitted the use of their logo only when you made at least three modifications to your car.
......and where did you get this information from ?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
If your car has an amg body kit - I dont see why not.

other than that, NO.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:05 AM

1988 300E
Fair enough....

Ghey and NO is the verdict....lol !!

I guess ill just have to wait until i put a body kit on my car.

Since we are looking at the EVO's, anyone know where I could source one of those extended DTM lips, like the one on the SONAX 190E ?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Ghey x ghey (ghey squared)

The temptation to do stuff like this is felt by everyone at least once. DO NOT DO IT.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Agree , Ghey to the 20th power.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:24 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
If you don't got it - don't flaunt it. Simple as that.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"88 300CE- First Year Production
I did mine simple as I have an emblem on the trunk and two at the side plastic panels just in front of the doors, almost like where bmw's put m3 emblems And lucky me they match my car's color perfect.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
very riced and i think the consensus is that if you don’t have it don’t act like you do.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
I would even go as far to say that if your car wasn't originally modified by AMG, you're posing. No offense to anyone whose done this. But slapping on some AMG rims or an AMG body kit (or even both) still leaves your car a far cry from an AMG. But that's just my opinion.

But I also have never thought that adding aftermarket decals and/or badges looks cool... Unless you actually have sponsors.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:22 PM

See sig
Originally Posted by C43AMG
......and where did you get this information from ?
Common knowledge. If you'd like,I could ask for confirmation from the fellow who held the licence for AMG Canada for years before MB bought out AMG but I already know what he's going to say.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM

See sig
Originally Posted by xudeck
Fair enough....

Ghey and NO is the verdict....lol !!

I guess ill just have to wait until i put a body kit on my car.

Since we are looking at the EVO's, anyone know where I could source one of those extended DTM lips, like the one on the SONAX 190E ?
You could try Mercedes-Benz in Germany, but you'd need an EvoII VIN number to buy it.

Just a heads-up, Evo parts are NOT for the faint of heart. The list pricing WILL give you a heart attack. ie: I had MB quote me EvoI fender flares a few years ago: $2300 CDN each. and the EvoI front bumper was on the neighbourhood of $4000 CDN. Even the "regular" 16v fender flares are expensive: ~$400 ea.

The splitter itself is carbonfibre and several hundred dollars (read: more than $400) Several Evo owners have whacked the splitters on cubs and opt not to replace them due to the cost.

There's also Thorsten Stadler at www.190teile.de He's a better bet.

Last edited by yhliem; 12-13-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:39 PM

Range Rover Classic
I'd love to have a 190 in full DTM Kit
Old 12-13-2006, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by yhliem
Common knowledge. If you'd like,I could ask for confirmation from the fellow who held the licence for AMG Canada for years before MB bought out AMG but I already know what he's going to say.

Yes , please do.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:52 PM

1988 300E
You could try Mercedes-Benz in Germany, but you'd need an EvoII VIN number to buy it.

Just a heads-up, Evo parts are NOT for the faint of heart. The list pricing WILL give you a heart attack. ie: I had MB quote me EvoI fender flares a few years ago: $2300 CDN each. and the EvoI front bumper was on the neighbourhood of $4000 CDN. Even the "regular" 16v fender flares are expensive: ~$400 ea.

The splitter itself is carbonfibre and several hundred dollars (read: more than $400) Several Evo owners have whacked the splitters on cubs and opt not to replace them due to the cost.

There's also Thorsten Stadler at www.190teile.de He's a better bet.

I hear ya,

Definitely not for the faint of heart or wallet. I have the heart, I don't have the wallet...lol !!

I wouldn't mind sourcing the splitter though. 400 Doesn't seem like its that bad, its just a thought for now.

And to all the fine Gentlemen, yes I get it. Its Ghey to the power of 20...lol !!

I just wanted to hear what people had to say. But im putting it on my dashboard anyways for me to look at. I like looking at it, and I already have AMG shoulder pads and AMG Head Rest Pillows.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:00 PM

See sig
I wouldn't mind sourcing the splitter though. 400 Doesn't seem like its that bad, its just a thought for now.
Well..the "splitter" is just the very bottom part that's extended forwards. You still need something to attach it to which would haveto be an EvoI or EvoII front bumper. Both are in the thousands of dollars range.

Furthermore the wheel arch radius differs on an Evo: they're further radiused to accomodate larger wheel/tire combos. ie. the wheel arch is cut out to the body crease above the centrepoint of your current wheel arch, a good 3" of sheet metal has been cut out. So, unless you intend on doing some sheetmetal work, the Evo bumpers are out. Also, the Evos sit considerably lower so fender gap will become an issue without extreme lowering. Also the inner wheelshouses on the Evos were also modified to give additional tire clearance.

All in all, you'd probably have better luck trying to find a generic splitter and modifying THAT to fit.

Last edited by yhliem; 12-13-2006 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:30 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Well..the "splitter" is just the very bottom part that's extended forwards. You still need something to attach it to which would haveto be an EvoI or EvoII front bumper. Both are in the thousands of dollars range.

Furthermore the wheel arch radius differs on an Evo: they're further radiused to accomodate larger wheel/tire combos. ie. the wheel arch is cut out to the body crease above the centrepoint of your current wheel arch, a good 3" of sheet metal has been cut out. So, unless you intend on doing some sheetmetal work, the Evo bumpers are out. Also, the Evos sit considerably lower so fender gap will become and issue without extreme lowering and the inner wheelshouses on the Evos were also modified to give additional tire clearance.

All in all, you'd probably have better luck trying to find a generic splitter and modifying THAT to fit.

Agreed.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:44 PM

1988 300E
Well said and very informative. Never thought about all that, to be quite honest.

I guess ill just wait around for RaceOnUSA to sell their front bumper separately, and that thing has a splitter so I should be good and happy.

Thing is, I honestly don't know what to do to my car. I see other people's car and I like certain things and then I see someone else's car and then all these ideas clash so I'm left thinking what the hell should I do.

I cant even decide on what rims to get, AMG monoblocks ? Or EVO II rims ? Or something else.

Im pathetic eh....lol
Old 12-13-2006, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
I guess my car is a Carlsson poseur.

LOL like I give a *****....it looks bad a$$
Old 12-13-2006, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
Ha ha, I knew I would offend SOMEBODY!

It's just a preference thing, mang. It hardly ruins an entire car in my mind, but adding decals and badges isn't something I would proactively choose to do.

Plus, your carlsson badge is pretty subtle.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:32 PM

1988 300E
Well if I had a Japanese import and was tuned like hell, then for sure Id have decals and stuff. But when it comes to putting decals on your Benz, its a sensitive issue.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Yes , please do.
i think he was referring to himself
Old 12-13-2006, 07:06 PM

See sig
Well said and very informative. Never thought about all that, to be quite honest.

I guess ill just wait around for RaceOnUSA to sell their front bumper separately, and that thing has a splitter so I should be good and happy.

Thing is, I honestly don't know what to do to my car. I see other people's car and I like certain things and then I see someone else's car and then all these ideas clash so I'm left thinking what the hell should I do.

I cant even decide on what rims to get, AMG monoblocks ? Or EVO II rims ? Or something else.

Im pathetic eh....lol
Decide, first of all, what your ultimate goal is. If you just want to dress up the looks of your car then, i guess, your imagination (and your wallet) is the limit. If you want to improve the performance of the car then you have to figure out why.

For example, I decided to autocross my 16v and as a result, my mods are all about suspension and handling. I've done nothing to the powertrain of the car even though I'd like to. Why? Because I had more time to gain from a better and more consistently handling car. More power would certainly be nice, but is ultimately uselss if the chassis can't keep it under control.

Conversely, if I were more interested in drag racing, I'd work more on weight management and increasing engine output and worry less about the suspension setup.

Had I decided to mod my car for purely cosmetic reasons I wouldn't have bothered with the lightweight CLK rims, W124 front swaybar, 300TE rear swaybar links, EvoII rear swaybar, EvoII brakes, stainless steel brake hoses, cat delete, wrapped exhaust header, electric radiator fan, etc. I'd have gone with lowering springs, a really nice (expensive and heavy) set of rims and a paintjob.

A lot of thought goes into both philosphies of modding, but when modding for performance, the additional factor of having to withstand the stress of competition is another factor.

Once you've figured out what your goal is, then you can start to look at your options based on availability, personal preference, cost, and ultimately, cohesiveness of the final result.

*I* would start with the lowering kit, if that's what you want to do. Next would be rims and tires, then interior and bodykit would be last. BUT, that's just me.

Last edited by yhliem; 12-13-2006 at 07:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: What's your say on AMG Decals ?