E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

230ce ... light modding

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'88 300CE
Talking 230ce ... light modding

hello everyone, and happy new year
i just looked at a holset h1e turbo... i haven't found out much about it, has anyone?
could you please help me with a little info (since i'm a ,i can't say i know mutch) ... what would mounting a turbo mean, in terms of other mods i would have to make? exhaust, i have that in mind but i can't find enough info on what suits me or not, injection and sparkplugs?
thanks a bunch...
Old 12-29-2006, 03:37 PM

'88 300CE
i've been really discuraged talking to my friends and reading topics on turbo's, and i'm really wondering, isn't there something i could do to sqeeze something more from this engine?
Old 12-29-2006, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by dan_c
i've been really discuraged talking to my friends and reading topics on turbo's, and i'm really wondering, isn't there something i could do to sqeeze something more from this engine?
You need a turbo, plumbing, exhaust manifold, exhaust, fuel management, turbo timer, blow-off valve, etc, etc. You should swap that 4 banger for an I6 or a V8 rather than turbocharging it.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Oooo! Take a supercharged 2.3L from a w202 chassis. That way you can get the same basic size motor, and get something very tunable with not too bad of mileage.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:45 AM

'88 300CE
i'm sorry to say this, but i can't exchange engine tipes here in romania, the laws are verry strange... iwould love get a 230kompressor if i could
Old 12-30-2006, 05:51 AM

'88 300CE
Originally Posted by mgw_300e
You need a turbo, plumbing, exhaust manifold, exhaust, fuel management, turbo timer, blow-off valve, etc, etc. You should swap that 4 banger for an I6 or a V8 rather than turbocharging it.
what about the garret gt25? and what is a turbo timer (excuse my english please) ... and by fuel managment, do you mean megasquirt?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:54 AM

'88 300CE
and by the way ... happy new year, rock on, and many thx for replying!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
Originally Posted by dan_c
what about the garret gt25? and what is a turbo timer (excuse my english please) ... and by fuel managment, do you mean megasquirt?
I'm no turbo expert, but I know basic kits are just that. Turbo done right requires mods to your intake, valvetrain, fuel management, and exhaust. By the time you buy all of the bits and pieces, they get expensive.

Fuel management means fuel pump, ecu, injectors, etc. - everything involved in putting fuel to the cylinders.

Turbo timers are devices that keep your car running for a set period of time after you turn off the ignition so that the turbo has time to spool down while it still has oil pressure to it's bearings. If you have a turbo spinning at whatever thousand rpms and you cut off the oil supply, the oil cokes the bearings and trashes the turbo.

If I were ever going to run a turbo, I would research my *** off first. Go buy some books on turbos, fuel management, w124s, and read read read. You should become an expert on turbos before you start putting one in your car.

I'm not saying you shouldn't do it - I think it's a great idea. Just know what you're getting into before you start.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:00 PM

I just tell one thing: Mercedes engine+Turbo= nothing else better!

Först uou must to decide how much power do you want.
If we talking about M102 2,3 so its allreadu low compression and with good aftermarket magament system you can easy run 1bar.

You should start with arftermarket managent system caurse original K-jetronic is the biggest **** mercedes ever produced.

Every one should have aftermarked system even if you dont run turbo.

Eftermarket system:

ECU
fuel rail
fuel regulator
injectors
water temp sensoe
air temp sensor
Throttle sensor
trigger sensor (vr sensor or hall sensor)
Triggerwheel 60-1 or if you run EDIS ignition 36-1 wheel

Then turbo:

Turbocharger (depens how much power)
Wastegate
Extractor turbo manifold
3" exhaust with downpipe (not nessecary but good)
Intake pipes
Intercooler
BOV
Oildrain connection
Oilfeed to turbocharger
Old 12-30-2006, 04:33 PM

'88 300CE
still learning ... i went for a couple of hours with a guy that explained to me a little bit the "tricks behind the magic of internal combustion engines"
it's a bit more complicated with the turbo...
mybe latter ...
but, getting to the point, what would actually take to get form 132 horseys ( 100 poney's by my syster's driving ) to 250 healthy pure-breads?
what are the posibilities to upgrade a 1990 ECU? is there any real ECU there?
i allways asumed it had no comp. in there...
high-flow filter ... ok i got that
bosch fuel injectors and sparkplugs ... witch ones fit? (and work better )
the last time i took a ride to a mec.shop, the guy told he has to strip my engine and "segment" it - meaning replasing every moving part in there ... do you by any chance know were can i get one of those kits? (that guy didn't, , a profesional! )
Old 12-30-2006, 04:35 PM

'88 300CE
PUMPISH, could you please post a maker and model next to that beutifull list?
thx verry mutch for enlytning me
Old 01-21-2007, 03:24 AM

LS400 Celsior. Nissan Stagea Turbo. 230CE Project Car.
Dan C. There is a Very good book about turbocharging NA (normally aspirated) engines by Corky Bell. It is called Maximum Boost. (try pitstopbookshop.com.au) It details all the planning needed to make your project work. Most NA engines LOVE boost, if all the support hardware is right.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:24 AM

03' CL55 AMG
I believe there is also a Super charger for that engine which should yield higher output than a Turbo charger since it's on the induction end . . .