E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

AMG Bumper Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 300E
AMG Bumper Question

I just got a AMG Gen II replica bumper... It's painted and I now need to get it onto my car. I don't have any mounting materials, such as screws, brackets, and whatnot, and I was wondering how I could go about finding someone to install it. I live in Atlanta, and if anyone knows a body shop around here that would install it I would appreciate it. Or how it is installed? I did a test-fit before I painted it and it looks fantastic. I think that it is an add-on, not a full bumper. If that is the case, what difference does that make? I think it will fit perfectly without the impact strips.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Im no expert, but I assume that if you remove the current bumper cover yourself you will have all the mounting materials you need right there and you will only have to swap the new one on and be done with it. Again, dont quote me on that, I havnt tried with my car yet, but that seems logical to me.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:12 AM

"88 300CE- First Year Production
what he means is that it should be a direct bolt-on.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 AM

S500
Hate to break it to you, but you should have fabricated some brackets before it went to paint. I would take some time and cover the painted surface with something and make up some brackets which will be glued into place. Once you take your stock bumper off you will see what is required. I've done it twice and it's not fun.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce 24v I6
Yeah basically, exactly what I meant
Old 01-06-2007, 02:41 AM

1991 300E
I can't do that myself though. I have pictures of the bumper to show ya'll. I'll post them in just a second.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:58 AM

1991 300E
Originally Posted by joef
Hate to break it to you, but you should have fabricated some brackets before it went to paint. I would take some time and cover the painted surface with something and make up some brackets which will be glued into place. Once you take your stock bumper off you will see what is required. I've done it twice and it's not fun.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:00 AM

1991 300E
If those aren't big enough, let me know. I think that this bumper fits over my stock bumper. I think that it would fit without the black impact strips. I test-fit it and it was too tight with the impact strips but looked like it would be just about right without.

If I took off the impact strips could I install it over the rest of the oem bumper?

I really have no idea.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
First of all, your pics all seem to be taken at night, like your signature. From the one picture I see of the front bumper, it looks like you painted it on the box it came in. I see "tiger stripes" I'd make sure that the paint is a good match for color and that you don't have problems with the metallic flake. Metallic is not the easiest paint to get right. Remember, prep work is what makes or breaks a good paint job. Did you prep and prime?

This is a benz, the bumper is one of the first impressions the vehicle makes, if you slap on some crummy paint-job-fiberglass bumper, you will ruin this car. It will be in the same visual league as a ricer honda with the guppy fish bumpers in the sense that they don't go that extra mile to prep the friggin bumper so it looks even cheaper. UGH. Prove my concerns wrong before you go any farther and waste money and ruin the car.

the front bumper comes off with minimal effort, as does the impact strip. Take this off and try a dry fit. If you think it will work i'd sell your front bumper to some folks here since I have seen some racked bumpers. You will probably want to cut the lower portion of the existing bumper off since it will be visible behind the new open grates/mesh at the bottom. Might as well use a bumper already damaged that will be used as structure only rather than waste a good bumper if yours is good. anyways, regardless of that option, there are some very heavy duty automotive adhesives that auto body shops use that can be stronger than welded thin guage steel. You could always take it to a body shop and they could bond this new front bumper on your existing bumper. That way they have the special caulk gun and bonding chemicals and cleaners on hand, and they can make sure that it stays level and straight until it cures.

DO NOT RUSH THIS!!!

Good luck

Last edited by myfirstbenz; 01-06-2007 at 04:08 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:38 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
That's the problem with fiberglass replica kits these days - no matter how good you fabricate the mounts for the car - they will never hold up and always go bad. Alon will speak about this from his experiences with his GenI replica body kit he has.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:26 PM

1991 300E
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
First of all, your pics all seem to be taken at night, like your signature. From the one picture I see of the front bumper, it looks like you painted it on the box it came in. I see "tiger stripes" I'd make sure that the paint is a good match for color and that you don't have problems with the metallic flake. Metallic is not the easiest paint to get right. Remember, prep work is what makes or breaks a good paint job. Did you prep and prime?

This is a benz, the bumper is one of the first impressions the vehicle makes, if you slap on some crummy paint-job-fiberglass bumper, you will ruin this car. It will be in the same visual league as a ricer honda with the guppy fish bumpers in the sense that they don't go that extra mile to prep the friggin bumper so it looks even cheaper. UGH. Prove my concerns wrong before you go any farther and waste money and ruin the car.

the front bumper comes off with minimal effort, as does the impact strip. Take this off and try a dry fit. If you think it will work i'd sell your front bumper to some folks here since I have seen some racked bumpers. You will probably want to cut the lower portion of the existing bumper off since it will be visible behind the new open grates/mesh at the bottom. Might as well use a bumper already damaged that will be used as structure only rather than waste a good bumper if yours is good. anyways, regardless of that option, there are some very heavy duty automotive adhesives that auto body shops use that can be stronger than welded thin guage steel. You could always take it to a body shop and they could bond this new front bumper on your existing bumper. That way they have the special caulk gun and bonding chemicals and cleaners on hand, and they can make sure that it stays level and straight until it cures.

DO NOT RUSH THIS!!!

Good luck
I prepped and primed and all that, but I didn't paint on the box. It is just there so that I could keep it inside the garage at night. I also did the headlight wipers and the rear impact strip. I'm not done painting the bumper though. It needs 1 more base color coat and 3-4 more coats of clear coat. The paint matches technically, by that I mean it is the right color code. It doesn't match exactly due to the car fading with age, but I actually like how it looks. It brings some contrast to the rear because of the bumper strip. Though I am going to have the entire car re-sprayed later this spring.

I'm about to leave for school again (Atlanta to Richmond) so I wanted to get it installed before I left.

I'll try what you said though. I am almost positive it will fit without the front impact strip, so I will take that off once I finish painting and take it up to a body shop. Thank ya'll for your help. I'll let you know how it works out.

This mess is scheduled for Tuesday. Motor mounts, right rear window, and cruise control are scheduled for repair Monday. I'm leaving Sunday morning, so I need to get this done.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Well I am glad you are going about it the right way, and I am glad you mentioned the rear impact strip, I thought about that after my last post. My other question that remains is about the fog light holes... any plans to get the fog lights ? Good luck.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:37 PM

1991 300E
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
Well I am glad you are going about it the right way, and I am glad you mentioned the rear impact strip, I thought about that after my last post. My other question that remains is about the fog light holes... any plans to get the fog lights ? Good luck.
Right now, I don't really have the money to get the foglights. But I am thinking I might add a second air intake tube through the left foglight hole. I can't think of a better place to put it.

Basically I'm sort of going through the college student phase. This bumper was just too good of a deal to pass up (ebay), as were the Vogtlands that I just bought.

Thank you for your help.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
I've got one more year to go to finish my second degree here, so I feel your college size bank account constraints.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
If done properly, that bumper should look pretty cool. It is however NOT an AMG Gen II (or I for that matter) replica.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:05 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
If done properly, that bumper should look pretty cool. It is however NOT an AMG Gen II (or I for that matter) replica.
I was going to say that form the get-go but never felt like posting - I agree with Mark. That bumper looks NOTHING like a AMG GenI or GenII.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM

1991 300E
My bad. I thought it was.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:51 PM

1991 300E
I got it installed today, and now I need to have it painted. It looks pretty good I think. they had to add some fiberglass because it was about a half-inch short on the left side, but I still love it.

I know, I need to drop the car. I should get the Vogtlands on Friday. I'm pumped.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dora the Explorer
It looks good. You should get the fogs for it.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:44 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Looks good! the bumper looks like a SL front bumper from the old SL's.

Good choice with the Vogtlands. You're going to love them!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Bumper looks nice in terms of style but without the rest of the kit, looks kinda out of place. The paint quality however, is ****e! I've painted walls with rollers that look more even. Not to be an A$$ but you neeeeed to have that painted by someone who knows how to paint.

Git 'er fixed properly and you'll have a sweet benz in progress!!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM

1991 300E
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
Bumper looks nice in terms of style but without the rest of the kit, looks kinda out of place. The paint quality however, is ****e! I've painted walls with rollers that look more even. Not to be an A$$ but you neeeeed to have that painted by someone who knows how to paint.

Git 'er fixed properly and you'll have a sweet benz in progress!!
I'm getting the entire car resprayed, but not before I get back from school. I just painted it so that I could get it on before I left. I just did what Rik Johnson suggested and my paint didn't match quite as well as his did. I leave for Richmond tomorrow, and I'm getting my exhaust tips fixed today, so I just don't have the time to get it done.

In terms of having the rest of the kit, it doesn't really bother me. I don't really notice side skirts in terms of AMG or any other type of aftermarket side skirt, but if I can get my hands on a rear lip then I will. But I'm not going to pay $600+ for it, which is all I've seen them go for.

I play baseball in college, and the spring is when our season is, so I don't have time to work on the car at school. So you see the mad scramble for me to get my car's life together. I've done a full exhaust, mounted this bumper, new engine mounts, new rear window regulator, air/oil filter change, and oil change in the last 4 days. Unfortunately I'm going to have the Vogtlands for a while before I will be able to get them installed.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by rooney2006
I'm getting the entire car resprayed, but not before I get back from school. I just painted it so that I could get it on before I left. I just did what Rik Johnson suggested and my paint didn't match quite as well as his did. I leave for Richmond tomorrow, and I'm getting my exhaust tips fixed today, so I just don't have the time to get it done.

In terms of having the rest of the kit, it doesn't really bother me. I don't really notice side skirts in terms of AMG or any other type of aftermarket side skirt, but if I can get my hands on a rear lip then I will. But I'm not going to pay $600+ for it, which is all I've seen them go for.

I play baseball in college, and the spring is when our season is, so I don't have time to work on the car at school. So you see the mad scramble for me to get my car's life together. I've done a full exhaust, mounted this bumper, new engine mounts, new rear window regulator, air/oil filter change, and oil change in the last 4 days. Unfortunately I'm going to have the Vogtlands for a while before I will be able to get them installed.
not bad at all bro, not bad.

It Def needs a respray, but It'll hold up till after your season, we hope.

I don't think you need an entire body kit to make that front bumper work, judging from the side shot it seems to be a few degrees slanted somehow, like its not hanging properly, sorta looks a tad like it's clinging and not attaching.

Drop + respray + Euros + front bumper adjustment = done.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
PS: Removing those headlight wipers will add a cleaner look to the overall front profile.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:44 PM

1991 300E
Originally Posted by shadowgriffen
not bad at all bro, not bad.

It Def needs a respray, but It'll hold up till after your season, we hope.

I don't think you need an entire body kit to make that front bumper work, judging from the side shot it seems to be a few degrees slanted somehow, like its not hanging properly, sorta looks a tad like it's clinging and not attaching.

Drop + respray + Euros + front bumper adjustment = done.

That shot is to show the added fiberglass the shop had to do. The bumper was about an inch short on that side, so they had to fabricate the extra inch. It's on straight, it just looks a little off because of the added fiberglass. It's on pretty tight though, actually. I emphasized that when I got it installed. Thanks a lot though. I really like it.