E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Door mirror glass cheap fix (Tip)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door mirror glass cheap fix (Tip)

My drivers side door mirror glass was so bad, I could hardly see out of it. Went to ebay, but the prices were crazy....$50-$100 for a USED mirror!
While shopping at Wal-Mart, I found a mirror repair kit. It's actually a thick sheet of flexible, reflective plastic. You have to trace out the shape of your mirror, then cut it out and stick it on with adhesive tape strips supplied. Now it looks like a new mirror glass. The directions say for temporary use over a broken mirror glass, but mine has held-up through washing, rain, and cleaning with no scratches or deterioration.

(TIP) I made a template out of beer box cardboard because the mirror actually sets about 1/4" inside the mirror housing. I then traced it on the reflective sheet and cut it with a razor knife. It's just too thick to cut with sissors. There's enough to do both mirrors, but I screwed-up and traced it on the reverse side, and that made the mirror backwards. Got it right the second time though. If I remember correctly, the price was about $5.

This is just a suggestion, use at your descrection. I'm very happy with it.
Hope this helps some of you frugal people such as myself.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is a German Tank
Originally Posted by cobraperri
My drivers side door mirror glass was so bad, I could hardly see out of it. Went to ebay, but the prices were crazy....$50-$100 for a USED mirror!
While shopping at Wal-Mart, I found a mirror repair kit. It's actually a thick sheet of flexible, reflective plastic. You have to trace out the shape of your mirror, then cut it out and stick it on with adhesive tape strips supplied. Now it looks like a new mirror glass. The directions say for temporary use over a broken mirror glass, but mine has held-up through washing, rain, and cleaning with no scratches or deterioration.

(TIP) I made a template out of beer box cardboard because the mirror actually sets about 1/4" inside the mirror housing. I then traced it on the reflective sheet and cut it with a razor knife. It's just too thick to cut with sissors. There's enough to do both mirrors, but I screwed-up and traced it on the reverse side, and that made the mirror backwards. Got it right the second time though. If I remember correctly, the price was about $5.

This is just a suggestion, use at your descrection. I'm very happy with it.
Hope this helps some of you frugal people such as myself.
nice.

My driver's side mirror is crap, I may go ahead and do this, heck while I'm at it I may even throw some slight tint on it

thanks P.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I once had to repair a side view mirror because of hail damage 23 years ago. A replacement was $70. I took it to a glass shop and they custom fit some mirror glass in there for $10. It last the life of the car (another 11 years).
Old 01-12-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to do like Kestas, and have a mirror cut at the glass shop. I had one cut for a pickup truck years ago and that worked fine. I just happened to find the repair kit first.
I believe the problem is that the heated mirror feature eventually deteriorates the reflective backing on the glass.
Incidentally, the heat still clears the reflective sheet I applied. The reflective properties of the repair sheet aren't perfect, but is it 1000% better than before.
Cheap fix for cheap people!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Clever cheap fix, dunno how much I like cheap fixes on a benz....and I know I don't like supporting wal-mart

I had to replace the mirror glass on my w108 and it was quite cheap, of course it was just glass and a retainer ring. That makes sense about the defrost deteriorating the reflective material on the back.