E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

console lighting.....question/problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 04:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
console lighting.....question/problem

so my center console lighting, the lighting on the rear door window buttons, sunroof button, and i believe the light the illuminates the temperature reading under the gauge cluster all do not work.......anyone know why this would be....? fuse problem?....all my fuses seem to be fine after checking the fuse box....anyone else had this problem? or is there a fuse anywhere else that i am missing....? any input would be appreciated...

-OG
Old 02-20-2007, 07:51 AM

All of them!
Short circuit in any of those lamps and it probably would take out the n40 relay behind the instrument cluster. Have you had the cluster out and the bulbs inop. since then? Maybe loose connector to rear of cluster.
See if your rear windows work. the wires break in the jamb area that flexes and causes a short. Check by turning the lights on and slowly opening and closing the rear doors especially the left rear. If the lights suddenly start working there you have it.
Rich
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Turn the dimmer up and down while your parking lights are on. Sometimes it's a dirty connection in the potentiometer. FYI, the dimmer is the left knob next to the clock set on the instrument bezel. I thinks it's also the one you push to reset the trip odometer.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:21 AM
CLJ

300E
Would most likely be the Instrument Cluster Fuse Element (Part No. 2015460025). It's encased in a red plastic twist top at the rear of the cluster and it’s connected to all the instrument lights.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by shdoug
Turn the dimmer up and down while your parking lights are on. Sometimes it's a dirty connection in the potentiometer. FYI, the dimmer is the left knob next to the clock set on the instrument bezel. I thinks it's also the one you push to reset the trip odometer.
Check the air in the tires as well, and turn the radio on, it's located in the console.

I believe he did not state the instrument cluster lights weren't working, just the others so it couldn't be the dimmer. Unless I can't read.
Rich
Old 02-20-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just Humor Me...

Originally Posted by mbenzman
Check the air in the tires as well, and turn the radio on, it's located in the console.

I believe he did not state the instrument cluster lights weren't working, just the others so it couldn't be the dimmer. Unless I can't read.
Rich
He said "center console lighting,...sunroof button, and i believe the light the illuminates the temperature reading under the gauge cluster all do not work." I know for a fact these lights ARE ALL on the dimmer, at least they are on mine. I'm not sure about the ones on the rear doors but they could be, too. If he wants to tear into the dash before simply rotating a knob and possibly getting lucky, great! I personally don't have that much ambition.

Last edited by shdoug; 02-20-2007 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:50 PM

All of them!
He said "center console lighting,...sunroof button, and i believe the light the illuminates the temperature reading under the gauge cluster all do not work." I know for a fact these lights ARE ALL on the dimmer, at least they are on mine. I'm not sure about the ones on the rear doors but they could be, too. If he wants to tear into the dash before simply rotating a knob and possibly getting lucky, great! I personally don't have that much ambition.
Along with the cluster lights which are on the same dimmer, which is why it can't be the dimmer.
I gave some simple advice about the rear doors, what's your point?
Rich
Old 02-20-2007, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess the missing info is the status of the cluster lighting, which is unmentioned. I assumed that if none of those other groups of lights work that the cluster lights are also out, hence my reference to the dimmer. He didn't mention the Lamp Fail Indicator status, either. Given the unknowns, was my suggestion that far off base? So my point is that I am not a complete idiot, as you seem to imply. But that's OK. I'm probably wrong completely. The electrical systems on these cars are so ridiculous that I wouldn't be surprised if the tire pressure has something to do with it!

Last edited by shdoug; 02-20-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:12 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by oneill_1
so my center console lighting, the lighting on the rear door window buttons, sunroof button, and i believe the light the illuminates the temperature reading under the gauge cluster all do not work.......anyone know why this would be....? fuse problem?....all my fuses seem to be fine after checking the fuse box....anyone else had this problem? or is there a fuse anywhere else that i am missing....? any input would be appreciated...

-OG
If the hazard flasher switch, a/c/c panel and recirc button still light up it's a short (such as rear door wiring) blown fuse #9 (which is where the N40 relay picks up it's power) or a failed N40 relay (which carries the voltage load to the console switch, ashtray, OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE DISPLAY, fader, mirror, rear window defroster, and rear door window switch lights (as well as a lot of others) as I stated earlier.
If the hazard and a/c/c panels don't light up it's probably the red fuse in the instrument cluster or a unplugged connection at the rear of the instrument cluster.
Hopefully this clarifies the system a little. There still can be other issues but will require more info to pinpoint.
Rich
Old 02-20-2007, 06:28 PM

All of them!
I guess the missing info is the status of the cluster lighting, which is unmentioned. I assumed that if none of those other groups of lights work that the cluster lights are also out, hence my reference to the dimmer. He didn't mention the Lamp Fail Indicator status, either. Given the unknowns, was my suggestion that far off base? So my point is that I am not a complete idiot, as you seem to imply. But that's OK. I'm probably wrong completely. The electrical systems on these cars are so ridiculous that I wouldn't be surprised if the tire pressure has something to do with it!
Ignorance vs. stupidity. I'm not implying studity just ignorance which can be changed, but to a Benz mechanic it's still funny.
He specifically titled this thread "Console lighting" not Cluster lighting. I don't know everything either but I guarantee you I have chased more problems on these cars than you have. This is what I do for a living.
The lamp failure indicator only checks outside bulbs.
I did not tell him to take the car apart, but it may be nec. to do before it's over and I will provide fast and easy checks in a methodical manner progressing to more difficult tasks if nec..
Rich
Old 02-20-2007, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I stand corrected. Impressive!

So, why did my right rear side bulb (the small 5008 bulb) fail to light with the switch in the parking light position, causing my lamp failure light to come on? Every time I turned the switch to park with the engine running, the failure lamp came on. If I turned the parking lights off, the failure lamp went out. All I did to "fix" it was step on the brake with the ignition on. Now the failure lamp is off and have not had the problem since. Maybe I need a priest...
Old 02-20-2007, 06:52 PM

All of them!
I stand corrected. Impressive!

So, why did my right rear side bulb (the small 5008 bulb) fail to light with the switch in the parking light position, causing my lamp failure light to come on? Every time I turned the switch to park with the engine running, the failure lamp came on. If I turned the parking lights off, the failure lamp went out. All I did to "fix" it was step on the brake with the ignition on. Now the failure lamp is off and have not had the problem since. Maybe I need a priest...
Problem is probably in the tail light bulb assembly. the grounding strap loses it's contact because the plastic tab that holds the metal bulb holders in breaks off allowing it to be a loose contact underneath. I have chased many.
Rich
Old 02-20-2007, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, Rich! I'll investigate it further. That tail light assembly has been replaced with a used one due to a small rear collision a few years ago and they did a lousy job on the repair.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:13 PM

MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
wow...i appreciate the arguement amongst the both of you....they provide some helpful info...btw..my instrument cluster still works and the light indicator which kicks in if any light is out is not on....and the bulb does work...i will try some of the tips that you guys have mentioned and i will let you guys know....and the tire pressure is ok....lol

-OG
Old 03-04-2007, 05:23 AM

MB 300E | BMW M Coupe
after finally getting around to it....the culprit to my light problem indeed was the Instrument Cluster Fuse Element (Part No. 2015460025). Thanks for the help guys.....especially CLJ for the part/part number....

-OG
Old 03-04-2007, 03:38 PM
CLJ

300E
No problem. Glade to hear it helped.