E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

yet another one of these threads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yet another one of these threads

Hey all,
I'm thinking about doing a manual conversion on my E220 (M111 engine). I've searched the forums but all the info seems to be directed towards the 6 cylinder 124s, or even the V8s.

Does anyone have any info. at all about such a conversion? What kind of donor car would I need? I know it's best to source a E220 with Manual but that's near impossible, if not actually impossible. Would a 190E gearbox work? What about associated parts that I would need?

Cheers for any info. at all,
Jeff
Old 03-28-2007, 08:47 PM

Very Slow Mercedes
Wink E220

Another E220 where are you located Europe/England....Anyway here is an easy way for you if you plan to keep the engine stock or do some mild mods, find a 99 230 slk and pull flywheel, clutch, transmission, then order from MBZ E class manual transmission trans support bar.Get a pedal assembly from a an Eclass like 300e. run the slk clutch hydraulics....about 90% bolt in.You will need to do minor fabrication work as far as the hydraulics but nothing major...I have a lot of part numbers somwhere for the SLK stuff, if you decide to go that way let me know so I can get you the info....

I found and SLK set up cheap without thinking then realized it would work great but the trans would not support the power.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by CoastLine
Another E220 where are you located Europe/England....Anyway here is an easy way for you if you plan to keep the engine stock or do some mild mods, find a 99 230 slk and pull flywheel, clutch, transmission, then order from MBZ E class manual transmission trans support bar.Get a pedal assembly from a an Eclass like 300e. run the slk clutch hydraulics....about 90% bolt in.You will need to do minor fabrication work as far as the hydraulics but nothing major...I have a lot of part numbers somwhere for the SLK stuff, if you decide to go that way let me know so I can get you the info....

I found and SLK set up cheap without thinking then realized it would work great but the trans would not support the power.
I'm in the UK, for good, however the car is in Hong Kong. In HK, there are not many (if any at all) manual Mercedes(s), let alone an SLK. However, there are a very limited number of manual Mercedes (usually W201 190E). Even if I can find a manual SLK it would cost a fortune to buy and that makes it more financially illogical.
Are there any other routes to take?
Your info. is grately appreciated,
Cheers,
Jeff