E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Turbotechnics Install Update - Suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Turbotechnics Install Update - Suspension

Got a call yesterday from my installer, Brian Murphy at Willow automotive in Chicago.

Began the install yesterday with the intercooler mount.
Location of the intercooler was key to any suspension mods other then the recently installed Bilstein HD struts and shocks.
Intercooler is mounted parallel to the engine on the passenger side frame rail.
Great place for air flow as it's down low.
It's protected from engine heat by a formed fiberglass shield

Will be sending out the Sportline sways that I just received ( Thanks much AMGDAVE !!) and decided on H&R sports springs.
Brian has used the Bilstein HD /H&R /18 x 8 wheels/225-40 tire/ combo with success on Mosselman W124 installs.
He feels the Bilstein Sports struts/shocks are not really necessary for a street driven vehicle as they are too harsh.
Springs not to lower the car, which they will, but to better handle the added torque from the twin turbos.

Compression tested strong at 190PSI +.
Need to replace some original vacuum lines as they are hard and one actually had a leak !

The stock catalytic converter appears to be one reason why the Euro cars are rated at 10HP over the USA cars. Appears very restrictive.
When the new exhaust is installed, I'll use a highflow cat which will have two x 2" pipes in and out. The new exhaust is twin 2" pipes from front to back with high flow silencers.

Hoping for 100HP + at the rear wheels
Old 04-08-2007, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
wow. Congratulations, this must be really fun for you.

On the bilstein HD's vs. bilstein sports, my understanding is that the HD's and the Sports are valved identically. The only difference between the two is that the sports are shorter. I would think that the longer HD's wouldn't perform as well with lowering springs because they are under constant compression. But I'm no expert. If you have the funds, and it sounds as though you do, I suggest going up to the sports. They really aren't that harsh.

I'm on H&R's and bilstein sports and it's only stiff over abrupt bumps like potholes. But I'm sure that has as much to do with the springs as it does the shocks.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
wow. Congratulations, this must be really fun for you.

On the bilstein HD's vs. bilstein sports, my understanding is that the HD's and the Sports are valved identically. The only difference between the two is that the sports are shorter. I would think that the longer HD's wouldn't perform as well with lowering springs because they are under constant compression. But I'm no expert. If you have the funds, and it sounds as though you do, I suggest going up to the sports. They really aren't that harsh.

I'm on H&R's and bilstein sports and it's only stiff over abrupt bumps like potholes. But I'm sure that has as much to do with the springs as it does the shocks.
Agree with your comments.
Discussed the use of HD's with a Bilstein tech and they indicated no problem.
The HD/H&R combo are typically used on Porsches.
Guess it's how much you intend to lower the car.
If you look at how high my car currently sits with just Bilstein HD's and nineteen year old stock springs, you'll see that even a 1-1/2" drop wouldn't effect the strut/shock travel that much.
Pic show 18" wheel/tire package and the clearance above the tire is about 3".

Old 04-08-2007, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
awaiting the results eagerly