E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

A do-able mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2007 | 04:55 PM

A do-able mod?

Hey,
I was just browsing the forums and found that some of you has said that W202 side mirrors can be fitted to the W124 with slight modifications.
However I struggle to find any info. about this. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
Also, I know that late W210 blinker mirrors can be fitted to the W202, again with some mods... However, theoretically does this mean that the late W210 mirrors can be fitted to the W124?
Of course, the "mods" I'm talking about here are minor mods, not fabricating a whole new frame for it or something...

Just want some opinions... I thought it was weird that it seems no one has done it even if it is an easy mod...

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 04-30-2007 | 11:02 PM

Very Slow Mercedes
The only thing that bothers me about the W124 is the 2 different sized mirrors.I have some pics somewhere of a passenger 202 mirror mounted to my cab, you have to make a bracket and you have to cut out a bit of the w124 black portion of the mirror housing....I am buried with finishing my car now and chasing parts all over the place, when I am done I will find the pics...Mods are subjective, you end up with mirrors that are the same size but look very much out of place on the car.......Very, very out of place but 2 that are the same...
Old 04-30-2007 | 11:30 PM

Range Rover Classic
If you want paired mirrors grab the matching UK version.
Old 05-01-2007 | 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by CoastLine
The only thing that bothers me about the W124 is the 2 different sized mirrors.I have some pics somewhere of a passenger 202 mirror mounted to my cab, you have to make a bracket and you have to cut out a bit of the w124 black portion of the mirror housing....I am buried with finishing my car now and chasing parts all over the place, when I am done I will find the pics...Mods are subjective, you end up with mirrors that are the same size but look very much out of place on the car.......Very, very out of place but 2 that are the same...
Thanks. If they look out of place then I'll just not bother altogether. I was just itching for something that I can do with my very limited skills and knowledge

Cheers
Old 05-01-2007 | 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Eliot
Have been thinking about this too. Is this a direct bolt on?
Old 05-01-2007 | 01:58 PM

Range Rover Classic
To the best of my knowledge yes. Rick (2Phast) has done it.
Old 05-01-2007 | 06:19 PM

1992 190E 2.6L
Originally Posted by Eliot
I did this to my 190E the only problem I experience is the same thing mention by Rick(2Phast), is the angle of vision is designed for a Right-hand driver.

You have to get a little blindside magnifying mirror or deal with the limited vision or extended blind-sided vision for your left. I had to turn my head left more often with that mirror or crouch towards the steering wheel more.

Is it worth it for the overall feeling of having a matching look...ehhhh not really. It was annoying more than the look. If your car doesn't have the electrical controls either someone is selling a dual control kit for $100+. Even that doesn't resolve the limitations of how far the mirror with go to the left.

-J

Here's a blind side photo look at the mirror.

Sorry for the low res photo(camera phone), that's a shot of the passenger seat belt guide on the upper right shoulder.