E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

R129 Upper Strut Mounts for W124?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
300D, 500E, E420
Yup, I think we agree too.

From what I can tell, gutman has the WRONG springs up front, period. Messing with strut mounts and stop buffers won't cure that. And, AFAICT, there is zero benefit to using the R129 mount... if you use Sportline struts, or Bilstein Sports, they are already designed to work with the lowered ride height.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92-300E
I agree that the Bilstein Sports are definately for a car that's been lowered (more than >35mm). They seem a little vague on where that starts.

Sportline shocks have the same physical dimensions as the comforts so I believe they might go better with sportline or Eibach springs (~30mm drop). But the valving is not the same as the comfort or the HD. I really like them. I don't think they're as harsh as the HD (I've only ridden in one HD equipped car so it's hard to say objectively) and no where near as soft as the comfort.

I won't hazard a guess on the springs he has since it's hard to say what's been done to the car besides the springs.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by klehver
I agree that the Bilstein Sports are definately for a car that's been lowered (more than >35mm). They seem a little vague on where that starts.

Sportline shocks have the same physical dimensions as the comforts so I believe they might go better with sportline or Eibach springs (~30mm drop). But the valving is not the same as the comfort or the HD. I really like them. I don't think they're as harsh as the HD (I've only ridden in one HD equipped car so it's hard to say objectively) and no where near as soft as the comfort.

I won't hazard a guess on the springs he has since it's hard to say what's been done to the car besides the springs.

The Bilstein HD's and Sports have the same exact valving.
Only difference is the HD's have a 1" longer travel.

The Bilstein Sports will inherently give a harsher ride due to a shorter piston travel.

Don't understand why so many posters have problems with tires rubbing, but only can conclude they have an incompatible shock and spring combo.

I just did my suspension along with a twin turbo install.
Not done for show, more for go

Used Bilstein HD's with supplied bump stops in new shock mounts along with H&R Sport Springs ( a well proven Porsche turbo combo).

18 x 8 FT35 AMG replica wheels, with Falken FK-452 225/40-18.
Along with sportline swaybars ( Thanks AMG Dave).

There are no rubbing problems, no need to roll fenders, and the car handles extremely well considering 50% more power and torque and the ride quality is equal or better then stock.

Falken FK-452's have an aggressive tread pattern but are very quiet and soft riding.

For my TT car it's the perfect combo !!!!

BEFORE

\

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Last edited by RBYCC; 06-27-2007 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92-300E
[QUOTE=RBYCC;2293540][COLOR="Navy"]The Bilstein HD's and Sports have the same exact valving.

The Bilstein Sports will inherently give a harsher ride due to a shorter piston travel.

I wasn't comparing Sports to HDs.

Bilstein (and Sachs) also make a replacement for the OEM Sportline struts/shocks. I was comparing Sportlines to the HD/Sports.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
[QUOTE=klehver;2293734]
Originally Posted by RBYCC
[COLOR="Navy"]The Bilstein HD's and Sports have the same exact valving.

I wasn't comparing Sports to HDs.

Bilstein (and Sachs) also make a replacement for the OEM Sportline struts/shocks. I was comparing Sportlines to the HD/Sports.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1991 300E
Originally Posted by gutmann
Thanks for the advice Bicylindrico. My car is not lowered to the extreme. Yours, and many others here seem to have lower front ride height than mine (See attached). This photo was taken with strut sitting firmly on the standard bump-stop (129 323 05 44). This is the ideal ride-height I want to have. Then after I have one "knot" removed from the bump stop the front sits about 0.5" lower and the top of the strut body is barely touching with the shortened bump stop. I'm gonna raise the ride height with thicker spring cup and change the bump-stop to the shorter sportline ones (124 323 06 44). The lack of travel really worries me quite a bit as the road condition in HK sucks, that I just want to explore ways to give an inch or so more reserve travel. Although the chassis of W124 is very rigid even in today's standard, I really don't feel good having roadshock transmitting directly to the body through struts crashing hard against the bump stops.

BTW what kind of struts (shocks) do you slammed W124s have?
anybody have any idea how to install new bump stops? and if this is a diy thing? i have 2 new bump stops to go into my front bilstein comforts until i get a pair of front sports.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rooney2006
anybody have any idea how to install new bump stops? and if this is a diy thing? i have 2 new bump stops to go into my front bilstein comforts until i get a pair of front sports.
You have to remove the shock to install the stop.

Soooo, You might as well wait until you install your new shocks which should come with the correct stops. Also replace the boots and shock mounts at the same time.

Your boots and shock mounts are probably worn...bad boots allows dirt to hit and build up on the shock cylinder.
Worn mounts can negate the performance of the shock.