E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Courtesy light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 300e
Courtesy light

My interior lights will not come on when I open the drivers door.
I checked the switch by removing and bypassing it. Still no lights.
They do come on when any other door is opened.
Also, will the electric seats move without starting the car?
My wife has diven it sporadicaly during the last weeks and I find I have to start it to get them moved back into position
Old 10-08-2002, 11:18 PM

mchud2-
Regarding the lights-
You said you "bypassed the switch." I am not sure which switch you are speaking of. Assuming there is no wire short or something, there are only two things controlling your lights. The first is the selection on the switch where you control the sunroof and the light setting. Make sure that is all the way to that one side. If the other doors activate it and yours doesn't, open your drivers side door.
There is, or should be, a little plastic thing sticking out. You can push it in and it will pop back out when you remove your finger. See if you can find it. If you can't, it could be stuck in. This switch thing will be pushed in as you shut the door, and come out when you open it.

Regarding the electric seats-
This probably has to do with your lights. The electric seats on my 300E will operate under 2 circumstances. 1) the car is on or 2) the drivers side or passengers side door is open. This mechanism uses the same door switch to see if your door is open or not, so if there is a problem with that black plastic switch, it will affect your lights and the ability to operate your seat when the car is off.

Just a note, my G320 requires the car to be on to operate the seats, but thats a G from 96, so....

If you can't find that switch, let me know and I'll take a pic and post it for ya.
Old 10-09-2002, 04:22 PM

93 300e
Unhappy

The switch I am referring to is in the door jamb.
I swapped it with the passenger side switch.
still no luck. (the passenger side works fine).
It appears that it also affects the power seat when the ignition is off.
I will have to trace the wires to ???
I also noticed an identical switch under the hood that when opened turns on the interior lights.
I checked all the fuses.
Anyone else have a similar situation?
Old 10-19-2002, 10:54 PM
Almost a Member!

E420 Sport
mchud2

Is your buzzer working when you open your door, lets say, with your keys in the ignition switch, or when you let your lights on, and open the door?

Rafael
Old 10-21-2002, 08:31 AM

93 300e
yes, the buzzer still works when I leave the keys in or the lights on.
any ideas?
Old 10-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Almost a Member!

E420 Sport
Well, that means the switch is ok and you probably have an open wire of the imput of that door to the relay of the lights. The problem is I don't know where the relay is, but an electric diagram should tell you. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:18 PM

1991 300e; 1998 ml 320
I have the same problem on my '87 300e, & according to the mercedesshop tech forum guys it's a faulty seatbelt hazard relay, which is located behind the speedo instrument cluster. Use the search feature for "300e front dome light" and you should be able to find the thread & pictures of how to replace the relay.