E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

A/C blower weakens ---?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A/C blower weakens ---?

quick question.. maybe someone went through this experience before..

my w124 (92) a/c works really good. original. i noticed after driving 20 mins or more, the blower starts slowing down. no problem about the coldness. its the blower that wears down after a while. i can always switch to "auto" or high and it will blow stronger thus making it really cold.

is it the blower??

what do u think?
Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 AM

2011 VW cc, 2004 ML350
Originally Posted by franhiz
quick question.. maybe someone went through this experience before..

my w124 (92) a/c works really good. original. i noticed after driving 20 mins or more, the blower starts slowing down. no problem about the coldness. its the blower that wears down after a while. i can always switch to "auto" or high and it will blow stronger thus making it really cold.

is it the blower??

what do u think?
It's an automatic climate control system. It controls the temp and the fan speed to maintain the temp you set on the dial. Just leave it on auto, and set the temp wheel where you want it. I pretty much leave mine at around 75 all year round.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Paul is probably correct and you are just experiencing the normal modulation of the blower.

Also, be aware that the HVAC computer controls the blower speed by its current draw rather than voltage. The HVAC computer calculates the current draw setpoint based on temperature requirements and then gives more or less voltage to the motor until it sees the desired current draw. Kind of a strange way of controlling it, but it makes sense. It's possible that something causes the motor to increase friction as it warms up and then it draws the same current while turning more slowly. I would think this would be accompanied by a squeeking noise.

This info came from my interpretation the service manual, and the fact that I do HVAC controls for a living.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by shdoug
Paul is probably correct and you are just experiencing the normal modulation of the blower.

Also, be aware that the HVAC computer controls the blower speed by its current draw rather than voltage. The HVAC computer calculates the current draw setpoint based on temperature requirements and then gives more or less voltage to the motor until it sees the desired current draw. Kind of a strange way of controlling it, but it makes sense. It's possible that something causes the motor to increase friction as it warms up and then it draws the same current while turning more slowly. I would think this would be accompanied by a squeeking noise.

This info came from my interpretation the service manual, and the fact that I do HVAC controls for a living.
The W210 regulators were notorious for making a "squeeking" noise. It wasn't the motor but the actual regulator making the noise. Weird stuff!
Old 06-12-2007, 01:39 AM

thanks for the input guys.....

i set it on "auto" although the air stays on high blower i manually depress it since it gets really cold. i'll try setting the temp to 75 as advised... i'll let you know.. thks!
Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulX608
It's an automatic climate control system. It controls the temp and the fan speed to maintain the temp you set on the dial. Just leave it on auto, and set the temp wheel where you want it. I pretty much leave mine at around 75 all year round.
this is exactly what i do as well. auto, 75 all year. cool enough in heat and warm enough in cold. less wear on switches and so on. i generally keep it on the econ position and only use the AC when necessary.